close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

response form the DNR

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by twistertail, Jun 15, 2005.

1. We were talking about size limits on saugeys a few days ago and I sent and email to the DNR and got this back when asked about size limits.

From a management perspective, we typically use length limits to protect young fish so that they can grow to a size where they have a chance to reproduce. In the case of saugeyes, since they do not reproduce in our inland reservoirs, protecting potential spawners is not an issue. If protecting spawners is not the issue, then the use of a length limit would put us in the position of having to make a judgment call on what constitutes a "quality" fish. For new or inexperienced anglers, that might be 12 inches. For experienced anglers, it may be 15, 18, or 20 inches. That isn't a call that we are inclined to make, unless we have proof that harvest of small fish is negatively impacting the overall population. With saugeye stocking rates in the 7-10 million range annually, we feel that there are enough fish out there to satisfy everyone. Additionally, we expect the recent decrease in the bag limit (from 10 to 6 in 2001) may reduce the harvest of smaller fish.

We use management tools like length limit regulations when there is sound scientific evidence indicating that one is needed. Keep in mind that we serve the entire angling public in Ohio. That includes a broad range of abilities, as well as species preferences. Issues such as harvest of “small” fish, and the lack of certain regulations are going to come up when you have a diverse angling constituency, because everyone has different preferences based upon angling ability and experience. In this case, allowing the anglers themselves to decide what constitutes a "keeper" reflects what we believe is the best overall strategy to keep everyone happy - and that's our job.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  2. I have to say that I fully agree with them when I look at it from the stand point of size limits are to give fish a chance to reproduce, not to make a trophy fishery, and that a keeper size fish is different to each person. I still think a size limit would be nice but I guess with 7-10 million stocked every year that there will be plenty that get big. What do you guys think?

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

same reply that I got.

4. I see the point, if they are putting the fish in and they do not reproduce and they dont care about how big they get there is no reason for a size limit. I wonder about catfish though? No size or limit on them and they do reproduce?? Sounds like another question.

5. catking

catking Banned

I agree with what they say . Their #1 goal is to get people interested in using the state park systems......... and some 12 year old kid doesn't care about a size limit. A 12" fish is a 12" fish .......... The amount of fish stocked by the ODNR should mean tons of fish for everybody.... THE CATKING :)

6. Just another example of how the ODNR caters to meat hunters, and ignores the trophy fish anglers.

I think that the ODNR dedicates too much of it’s resources on “food” fish. I wish that they could use at least some of their resources to create “trophy” fisheries, or improve habitat for native inland species. It seems to me that the ODNR is only concerned with the angles that are looking for a meal. While this type of angler MAY still be a majority, there are many C&R anglers, which spend a great deal of money in this state. Further, a great deal more revenue could be generated by recognizing the trophy fish anglers rather than just catering to the catch a meal anglers. The ODNR explains that they do not want to determine what constitutes a “keeper”; however, by not putting limits on a species, they are allowing the meat hunter to determine a “keeper”, and ultimately the quality of our fisheries. I guess that the C&R anglers don’t get a say in the fishery management of Ohio.

7. Hey rooster I agree with a lot of what you say but remember that this question was just about saugeye, which we all know is not native of course and is put in the lakes as a food source for the people who want to keep fish. Maybe by doing this and having size limits on fish like bass they are thinking that the people looking for a meal will fish for the saugeye instead of bass??

8. I understand that this response was directed at a question regarding saugeye. Trust me, I could care less about saugeye! LOL

However, I would argue that the ODNR’s overriding philosophy is the same with other species. That is, they cater to the catch and keep anglers, and the C&R angler is left with the scraps.

I would just like to see a more equitable portion of the ODNR’s resources (MONEY) used to improve fishing. I see where they spend a great deal of money to provide fish for harvest. But, where are they spending money to improve fishing (irrespective of catching a free meal)?

9. I do see where it cost a lot of money to raise and release saugeye and if you are fishing nothing but streams for smallies that it's not right that the money you spent for a fishing license is being used for the saugeye program. What would you do if you could use all the money from fishing license sales for a year? what would you do to improve fishing?

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i knew they would reply.as i said,it's not always immediate.
    i also knew this would be another good thread,once i saw it ;)
    and it gave me an idea for a whole new thread.don't have time now,but i will post one later.

11. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Good point, but I bet they might not realize many a 7" and 8" saugeyes are kept. Go to Paint Creek spillway & you'll see. I'd even go for a 12" limit, heck even a 10" limit. How much meat is on an 8" saugeye ?? With a 12" limit, there would be more growing to 14"-16" The argument you always get from guys keeping dinks is they drove 1 hour and this is all they catch. Duh ??? What do you expect when no one lets them grow. Brookville, IN DNR changed to 14" after they saw how many 6-10" walleyes were kept because of no limit on size. I think they might rethink it if they knew how many dinks are really kept.

12. Deer Creek is the same way, lots of 8 inchers and even smaller ones kept.

13. I guess with the state record getting broke a few times in the last several years it hard to bring up an arguement that there are not a lot of big fish out there.

14. mrfishohio

There statement is true...but it doesn't take into account all the dinks that are really kept and removed from the system. Wouldn't everyone be better off if none under 12" were kept? Much more meat on 6 fish 12"-14" than 6 fish 8"-10"
    Hope they do some research...That isn't a call that we are inclined to make, unless we have proof that harvest of small fish is negatively impacting the overall population
    I would submit it has, maybe site specific, but try to catch a saugeye over 10" at Paint Creek ;)

15. I agree 100% with ya but unless everyone in the state would agree that a saugeye should be 12" before its kept it sounds like there wont be a size limit.

16. I think in there opinion the over all population is not hurt because it doesnt matter to them if its a 6" fish or a 26" fish. They are going to put more fish in next year to replace the ones that were caught.

17. mrfishohio

Then should it be 6" ?? There ought to be a minimum size...it drives me nuts when I see 8" fish being kept. They say..."You'd keep an 8" bluegill, so why not? If the state cared, they'd set a limit."

I say let the fish grow a little, maybe one or two seasons for crying out loud. :D
    Maybe the state wouldn't have to stock so many millions then :rolleyes: either....
    The money they save they could hire more enforcement to ticket the guys keeping 8" saugeyes, making even more money to build more ramps...etc, etc.

18. thats kinda a bs responce from them...what about the hybrid striped bass they dont reproduce and they have size limits on them

19. Hey that is a good point John!
    It drives me nuts too but I dont know what we can do? Any ideas??

20. mrfishohio

Maybe enough people pointing that out. Yes, they are are put & take food fish for some, but maybe they are not aware of how many dinks are kept. Size limits on all fish are a good idea. Some limit somewhere. They changed the creel size limit...why ??