close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

response form DNR on paddlefish

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by twistertail, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  2. catking

catking Banned

BUT , there are " special " regulations on certain waters. And all the waters I've seen as far as inland have a sign that state " ALL PADDLEFISH MUST BE RETURNED UNHARMED" There are signs at various reservoirs down in this area.... THE CATKING !!!

3. Yep, Ive seen those signs at Deer Creek before also. Just couldnt understand why there is nothing in the state regs about them cause I know there used to be. Still not much info on them on their site.

4. catking

catking Banned

They are very vague on alot of their issues, that's for sure. Case in point , they still don't aknowledge the fact that blue cats are making a huge comeback in inland lakes.........THE CATKING !!!

5. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I love to eat Paddlefish!

6. I have never had one before but read that they are really good and that the eggs are sold as caviar and are really expensive and supposed to be some of the best caviar in the world. I'm not into eating fish eggs though.

7. A species listed as threatened versus endangered really has nothing to do with how they are protected or enforced, they are covered under the same state or federal order. While the punishment may not be as severe if you take a threatened fish versus an endangered fish, the status of the listing has to do with their population sizes stability genetics so on and so on.

My state and federal permits for fish and mussels cover threatened and endangereds just the same, and the penalties are just the same regardless.

I think the blue cat thing has to do with two points ... 1) They don't have the time, resources, nor funding to tackle updating the species recovery plans and reassess and make rulings from it. 2) It probably has to do with native Ohio Blue Cats. For example, there is a recognized native species of Musky called the Ohio Muskeelunge (spelling?), and it is a state listed species. Does it affect Musky fishing? No, not really, because the Musky that are stocked aren't of that species/strain.

8. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

So what is the limit on threatened species?? Particularly paddlefish ( they are also stocked in paylakes too) Saw pictures of one from Cedar Lake, Ohio's oldest paylake, bragging about how many pounds of fillets. Got the butcher pictures to prove it too.
    Yes, wonderful eating, especially poached it what I've heard. Naw, not a poached fish, cooked poached....