close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Reservoir Current??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by olwhitee, Apr 26, 2004.

1. I went out to the Ottawa reservoir yesterday, the wind was strong and blowing to my left. I was trying for catfish, and I had a big 2 oz sinker. When I tossed it way out into the reservoir, after it would sink, I noticed my line moving opposite the way the wind was blowing. I thought I had a fish, but felt nothing on the line. This happened everytime I would cast out, my line would go in the opposite direction that the waves were going, anyone know what this is all about?

I hope I don't sound crazy, it just baffled me all day.

2. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

That's an upground reservoir isn't it? Is it possible they were drawing drinking water or possibly pumping in water? Was your line moving toward the pump house on the dam?

3. Portage Lakes

Portage Lakes OGF Member

Over the years I have seen this too. Sometimes I think it was an optical illusion and other times I am convinced there are other "strange" forces at work on earth then any of us no about, lol. :)

PL.........

4. catking

catking Banned

I've seen in some cases where the wind will blow water through culvert pipes and when the wind lets up a tad, the water will push the opposite way. In fact, I fished just an area and this strange made current makes for good fishing. Not saying this is you case, but our large lakes down in the SW section usually have a large creek or river, and do have current. CATKING

5. yeah, it was going toward the pump house, that makes good sense. thanks for the help.

6. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I have a co-worker who fishes Lake Ontario for salmon. He told me a few times when the Niagra River is cooking the current speed and direction will change with depth.
    For instance at 90' deep the downriggers will outrun the boat. At 45' the downriggers will run perpendicular to the boat. It makes for an interesting day of fishing.

7. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I have noticed this in clendening lake also. Everytime I am there fishing the bridges on 799, whichever way the wind is blowing, the water current is going the other way. I have noticed this about every time I am fishing there and the wind is going. I just think it is goofy.

This does make me wonder though. If the wind is blowing into a bank, usually, you would think the bait fish are also there and of course the bigger fish we all want. Well if the current is going away from the wind blown bank, would the bait fish be opposite?? Or am I just blowing hot air?? :eek:

8. thats exactly what I was wondering while I was there, if the current pull is going the opposite of the wind, then that should be where all the dead stuff and food washes up, right?