close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Request for Help, Basement leaking in 4yr old home.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TritonBill, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Is there anyone on this site that is in the business or could help me figure out what the problem is of why my basement is leaking. It's been doing this for couple years now. The house is only 4 years old and we live on higher land but when it rains very hard we get water in our basement in one area. We don't have a sump pump because our builder says we dont' need one and didn't build the house with one.

Our builder (Morris Construction in Damascus, Ohio) blames it on the landscaper who built the patio (Smith's Landscaping in Beloit, Ohio). Everyone else I talk to blames it on the builder! Neither one have really showed up to fix the problem to this point. I can say that the patio that Smith's Landscaping built has settled and has a few low spots that causes water to collect when it rains. They've said they would come out several times but never have yet to fix the settling.

At this point I wouldn't recommend either company to do work for you. Both are slow and when it comes to fixing things they have to be hassled to get them to take action(warranty type work). There main concern seems to be getting the intial work and $$.

We would like to finish our basement at some point but right now due to the moisture problem in the basement we have a hard time keeping the mold from growing on stuff in the basement. Last night I swept the basement area that had water and probably swept up 10-15 gallons of water.

Just looking for some help before winter settles in again. I'm worried that eventually water could get in the foundation and freeze and crack the block.

PM or respond if you think you can help.

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

first iam no expert in this but here goes if the builder didn't put in adaquate drainage around the foundation the water pool caused by the deck has no were to go. if the the foundation was done right and sealed then in my opinion no water should get in builder problem. may be time to call a lawyer and put them on the spot until its taken care of. is the water actually coming threw the walls or at the floor. or possibly at a point were a pipe comes threw the foundation or block and wasnt properly sealed up.

3. I think the water is laying against the brick wall(outside) and then since blocks are porous in nature its seaping through, then it runs down the block wall and then it comes out right at the ground level on the floor in the basement. I put some of that Dry Lock type paint on the wall and that helped with it coming in on the wall but now it just comes in at the basement pad level. That was about 1 year ago. It's only a problem in 1 specific 14' wall section , which coincidentally is where the patio lays up against( up at ground level) was built. This whole problem has been going on for about 2 years now.

4. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

sounds pretty odd to me that they didnt put in a sump pump. the pump provides more then one purpose. its primary job as i understand is to pump the water to the storm sewer or to get it away from the house. also it draws the water in the ground to the hole so it can be pumped away so water pressure doesnt build up on the basement floor and walls, causing cracking. think of it like a pressure valve on an air compressor, too much pressure builds up in the tank and it opens up to release the pressure so the tank doesnt explode...

sowbelly

5. catking

catking Banned

Sounds as if you have natural drainage, since no sump station was put in. Which leaves only one explanation to your problem. The drain tile has been improperly installed. It is the pipe that lays around the footer, then ois covered with gravel, then the house is back filled. If ANY place in the tile is breached with a big rock, or is crushed, your basement WILL leak. This is a freakin mess to fix now. I see it all the time where a builder doesn't pay enough attention to this detail. It only takes a few hours to insure a good job, but most will half ass it. Alot of times on a brick house, water will transfer through the brick and run down the walls, but spraying silacone sealant prevents this. But with 10-15 gallons like you had, that's a drain tile for sure. Nothing seeps that bad. The water around the foundation is being blocked......CATKING

6. catking

catking Banned

That really isn't odd. Most houses with natural draniage has no pump station. But you better put the drain tile in correctly...............CK

7. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

My father built our house from the ground up and we occassionally have had basement leaks.....the good news, a lot of the cheaper fixes have worked...If what Catking says is true this could be a major problem, however...check a lot of the obvious first...If you have any low spots around that specific section, you have to find ways of getting the water out of there....a checklist of little things that may help

#1 Consider checking the gutter drains and exactly where they go to...extending how far the water runs away from the house can go a long way.
    #2 If you have any soft spots consistently for 2-3 days after a rain, you may want to dig down, and fill with gravel...essentially a french drain...
    #3 If you live on any kind of hillside at all and this is on the highest point, you may have a small underground spring that only runs high enough with rain...you may have to reroute it by simply digging multiple french drains...

Best of luck to you and may your troubles be small!

8. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

sounds to me like the grading wasn't done/maintained properly.when a house is built,the ground around it will settle for up to a year or more.any low spots should be filled to drain water away.it's possible,since the problem didn't appear for 2 years,that is the case.over the years,i've dealt with that problem dozens of times.but if the foundation drainage is not done properly(as catking mentioned),it is most likely the builder's responsibility.that's a good case for always installing a sump.in any case,the only remedy might possibly be to tear out the patio and fill the void below and/or dig down to check the drain tile,if the grade can't be raised.as to who's "fault",that's a kinda tossup.the builder usually is responsible for installing proper drainage(which should be in your warranty) and settling in the first year(depending on your contract).after that,maintaing grade is your responsibility.at the same time,if there was a noticeable problem,the patio contractor should have brought it to your attention.
    not to contradict catking,but if the water is coming in at the floor now(in the same place)it would seem that water is getting to the tile there,or it would find another entrance point.
    hard to determine without seeing it,but i'm still guessing it's more of a grading problem.but i've been wrong once before ;)

9. Seaturd

Seaturd Catcher of Fish

I'm assuming the patio is concrete and butts up tight against the block wall. If the water pools on the patio and then runs up against the block you may be able to seal that area. Or you may be able to flash it and seal it.

It still sounds like your footer drain isn't functioning properly though.

10. The patio is a brick paver patio with a sand mix in between pavers to firm it up so they don't move. It does butt up right against the block wall/brick band(that goes around the house).

Maybe I'll have to dig all that out one weekend to see what it looks like down there. Not sure I'll be able to tell anything once I do and will have to peel the patio pavers back 6 or 8 foot to do it I guess. Hmmmz..sounds like a lot of work!

I'm thinking they put corrugate(I think that's the term) pipe around the footers and it drains away somewhere.. not sure. I wasn't around much when they were building due to my job I had at the time(traveled 4 days a week away from home). In retrospect I wish I would have payed more attention because I don't even know where the water drains too. I have a couple ideas but not sure.

11. By the way.. I have a couple pictures... I can post them and see if that helps you guys come to any conclusions.

12. Fish2day

Fish2day member

What's under the brick? Is it a sand base or concrete? Is it showing signs of settling in that area? Post the pics, that would be a big help.

13. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

In my humble opinion:

Hopefully you just have a clogged storm line. Find out where your storm line outlet is (maybe you said it was out in the open - hopefully it is!) and run a snake up there and try to unclog the line. Measure and make sure the snake is long enough to reach around the house as far as possible. You can even run it down through your gutter downspouts, and through any other storm drains (drains by garage door. etc.) and any storm line "clean-outs" if any were installed. If there is a clog in your storm line, then all the water from your roof will go through your storm line (gutters-downspouts-drain tile) and will go OUT of the drain tile instead of in and through like its supposed to.

You can check for drainage on a dry day by turning the garden hose full blast on your roof and making sure the water is coming out just as fast as its going in to your storm lines by watching the water come out at the outlet.

Just be aware that there is a sanitary (poop) pipe system also, and you dont need to mess with that.

I hope this helps you! Good luck and let us know what happens.

In your best case scenario, something crawled up into the end of your storm line and died or made a nest. If thats the case, then you need to put a grated cap on the end of your storm line.

14. Water runs in on the floor level and streams across floor. This is the basement underneath the sunroom.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Outside from afar
    [​IMG]

Closer up against the wall that water comes into basement on: To the right of the steps where that wood sits and maybe even underneath the steps some is where the water seems to run down into the basement from?

[​IMG]

Side view of back of sunroom. This wall in basement usually is dry.
    [​IMG]

Do these pictures help any?

15. Fish2day

Fish2day member

Since you have a downspout right there, the best guess is to blame it on the roofers. :D :D :D :D ( I get blamed for everything else , why not this too?)

Seriously with that downspout being right there your footer drain is either plugged up or has worked open from the ground having settled. It appears like the ground has sunk in that area and around the back of the sunroom. It would be well worth taking Hardwater's advice and try roto-rooting it out. If I were a betting man tho, I'd bet the tile has separated at the downspout connection.

P.S. It's GREAT giving free advice. Thanks Bill!

16. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

i would agree with some others ...i think either they didnt install any drain tile or didnt install is correctly....my house has a tile around the outside and one around the inside my footer...witch drains into my sump pit .....but if no pit it should be ran down a slope into a ditch or hillside

17. catking

catking Banned

I just noticed in the picture a down spout by the corner. Looks as if it goes into a drain pipe? try to undo that the next time it rains, and run a pipe away from the house, just to see if it still leaks bad........ CATKING

18. catking

catking Banned

What hardwaterfan said....................... :D ........DA KING !!!

19. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

"If I were a betting man tho, I'd bet the tile has separated at the downspout connection."

I agree. This is a "less than best case scenario". Excavation would be required. :( Not good.

20. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

maybe remove that spouting from going into the ground and redirect it out into the yard for a rain or two and see if you notice a diference.

Bill