Reproduction

Discussion in 'Muskie & Pike Discussions' started by JIG, Feb 17, 2008.

1. I know they have found proof off natural reproduction of Muskie in Berlin but why not Milton let alone any other res. Milton is the same river system. What makes the diff?

2. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

I have always wondered that myself. I do know that there is natural reproduction in some of Ohio's waters, there is just no telling how successful the spawns are. They say that if one esox can reproduce there, others can as well. I recently got info back on some scale samples I removed from a muskie I caught out of the Chagrin River, and I was shocked. They said it was a hybrid muskie strain between (1. Riverine Muskies that are natural to the Great Lakes, and 2. The Ohio River strain muskies that were released in both the Chagrin and Grand back in the late 1930's.) Figure that one out! An ODNR member contacted me with some other great info about muskie stockings throughout the 1900's. PM me if anyone wants the article.

3. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Northerns reproduce on their own in West Branch so I feel that there could be a very limited reproduction of Muskies in there also but I have no way to prove it.

4. esox62

esox62 BORN TOO LATE

once in a great while i hear of a tiger being caught at west branch...too bad they dont reproduce like the pike do..

5. a small tiger was caught at on of our tournaments there awhile back........... Nature finds a way I guess

6. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

If I ever hook a tiger I'm getting a reproduction made. I don't care if its 25 inches. Haha! The whole concept of tiger muskies is freakin' awesome to me. And I've caught a few northerns in WB casting in the springtime. They seem to have a cloudy coloration due to the muddy water. Still fun though.

7. I had a 5" baby hit a small rapala in Clearfork creek last summer.

8. esox62

esox62 BORN TOO LATE

yeah i totally agree jim. i would kill to catch a tiger in ohio, they are so beautiful. thanks for the article, was really cool..

9. Isnt it something how fish seem to make it on thier own! After all! ALL we have too tell us whats in a lake is the dnr and what we catch. One day Ide hope to find spawning Tigers ect... Used too see and hear ALOT of :B out there at night. Never seen a surface become so active at night as WB does. Deff will be out there alot this spring into summer. .Thanks for the info guys.

10. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

From what I believe, I don't think that tigers can reproduce. Thats why a lot of lakes stock them.