Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got this boat as a starter last year and have enjoyed it. What we haven’t enjoyed is the noisy stinky 2 stroke Evinrude 9.9 powering it. I spent months looking at boats and motors and determined that the used outboard market is so crazy right now that it actually made sense to buy new. Last night I pulled the trigger on this:

Camera accessory Font Machine Personal protective equipment Fictional character

Suzuki df9.9b efi remote with power tilt. I’m actually excited for a 10hp motor. Hopefully it lives up to expectations, which are quiet smooth east starting and economical service. I know for many here this would be a kicker but for now this will be our only motor. Sticking with 9.9hp to keep the hp limited lakes on the menu. If we do upgrade the boat later I’ll take the motor with me as a kicker then.

·
Registered
10,155 Posts
Most of the 9.9 hp lakes are going to any hp but idle speed only. Pymy is still 20(far as I’m aware), 20 would “move” the Starcraft extremely well but prob. twice the price!😕

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I won’t say that this influenced my decision but apparently the df9.9a can have the ecu and restrictor swapped out and it’s then 20hp the base motor and controls are identical to the df20b.

im in the Columbus area and I don’t think the city has any intention of lifting the 10hp limits at their reservoirs. At least not that I’ve heard of!

·
Registered
977 Posts
I have the same boat and absolutely love it. Its been great to my family. I'm also thinking of repowering soon. I have twin 1990 Evinrude 9.9 and 40 motors. I would like to go 4 stroke for the same reasons.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Got a picture of your boat? The older I get, the more I like old boats.
Always remember: the purpose of the boat is to allow you to fish. Everything else is just noise.
I love my five year old Fishhawk 1750.....but I'd hate to be in the market for a new boat right now. The prices are just.....nuts.

Reactions: EnonEye

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes the old two strokes still have advantages. I’ve spent all of about $30 keeping this thing running for a year and that was due to the prior owner demoing it for me out of the water - it wiped out the water pump impeller to run it dry! I replaced the water pump kit and changed the lower unit oil and that’s all I’ve had to do on the motor. Haven’t even had to buy gas yet!! Haha! It’s also about 30-40 lbs lighter than the new motor. There’s lots less to worry about. But I’m a home mechanic and don’t mind oil changes and maintenance if the end result is better. It’s like a turbo motor in your car - much more work but much more fun.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I’m sure the newer 9.9’s are better in most areas. Aren’t the 2 strokes still simpler for maintenance, winterizing and a slightly better power to weigh ratio? I could be wrong, but I thought the old 2 strokes still had some advantages
I'm pretty sure that it's the exact opposite.
Newer, four stroke EFI outboards are about as easy as it gets when it comes to winterizing.
In some cases, all that you need to do is drop the motor to 90 degrees, drain the water out of it.....and you're done.
The EFI units don't have a carburetor to go bad.....which is typically the biggest problem area on "small" gas engines.
Won't even mention how quiet the new motors are.....and don't have that two stroke "smell". :)

Reactions: ya13ya03

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It fits our family great and tows and launches with our minivan really well. Only nice thing to have would be more room for friends but then it gets a little sketchy to tow and launch behind the van.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No disagreement there but sometimes other factors trump simple and reliable. There’s a reason we don’t all drive 1980 Toyota corollas to work.

·
Registered
196 Posts
But we all should drive those to work, it would drive down the cost of gas! Those zuki 4 strokes are some of the best made. I had a honda 9.9 high thrust on a 21 footer and I was unimpressed. It had low thrust, lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts