close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Report on Devols Dam

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by thedon255, May 21, 2008.

1. thedon255

thedon255 Float Tubing Fanatic

For once, I'm giving a report, not asking for one.
    Went to Devols Dam for a few hours this afternoon, west side. Caught 8 fish, 7 white bass and 1 sauger. Decent white bass, 8-10 inches, with 1 close to 12 inches. Didn't actually use a tape measure. Just my fisherman memory that absolutely never exaggerates:). Also lost a good hybrid. Got him close to shore, he reached that last bit of the current and he was off. All of these were on jigs, mainly spinner tail, some green and some white. They didn't really seem to care what color.
    Had a really good hit on a surface crankbait, probably another hybrid. Also saw what was probably a 7 inch largemouth come up and make a go at the lure. He missed or just wanted to mess around with me. But didn't end up actually catching anything on the crankbait. Jigs are the name of the game at Devols and will be more often than not.

2. Went there this evening, and caught a good bit of sauger, and also a few white bass. Used spinner baits along with jigs. The fish seem to be biting good there as of now. Caught most of my fish in the creek on the down from the dam.

3. thedon255

Went to Devols Dam again today. 35 fish total, 19 sauger and a combination of white bass, hybrids, smallies, largemouth, and even a bluegill and a crappie. Set new personal bests with sauger, smallie, and crappie, although my previous bests weren't much to begin with. But I'll take a 17 inch sauger and 14 inch smallie any day.
    This time, they were hitting seemingly any kind of crankbait, as long as it was shad or minnow like. Only bad part of the outing were the number of lures I lost. I guess it's time for another shopping trip!

4. tombo131

tombo131 Bronzeback Hunter

Thedon, have you been fishing from the lock side or the other?

5. thedon255

The other side although I've seen plenty of people fishing by the lock with success.

6. yethound2002

yethound2002 Living for Tommorow

Yea, we went fishing on the river down below it, docked out on the fairground side, but just took the little bass boat and trolling motor. River was busy yesterday so we ended up picking up and where going to fish the lock side of the devols damn but it was packed so tried the other side and wasnt to bad, looked like one family down there, they parked down near the river. But we didnt fish it cause i didnt really wanna risk getting stuck down the path, and my dad cant walk over that damn rocky slope.
    Other then that, seen a bunch jumpin.