close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Replica vs Real Mount

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by CatmanOne, Jun 28, 2007.

1. I have seen people talk about replicas on this cite many times, I have tried to do the research for replicas, from my research it appears replicas are about 2-3 times more expensive and you really have to have a quality artist do the molding process and definitely the paint job. Very easy to spend $700.00 - $800.00 and be really really disappointed. Those are prices for 22-23 inch fish if you are talking walleye or pike now your really talking money, as they are much bigger. But maybe I found over priced guys, I know bass pro shops sells specific species in mass production that are about equally priced, personal preference I guess. If any one knows of local talent that I could see some of there work on a replica and a round about price, per inch or fish, I would be appreciative.

2. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Me too. I'm thinking of getting a replica of that 3.2 lb. crappie i caught this spring.

3. What specie and size of fish are you refering to?:confused:
    I had a replica made of my tiger trout for less than a skin mount. What you have to do is contact several taxidermist from the WEB and look at their published work and then select at least three and ask for references. You should have measurements of your fish and pictures if possible. My replica looks exactly like the trout I caught. Your replica may not meet the exact dimensions but a good taxi will get it very closebased on the pre made forms he would use. Don't try to figure out the man's work as your pricing and description of tjhe process seems to assume that he would make a mold and form out of your fish. In that case you would probably have more invested than in a skin mount.