close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Replica mounts?

Discussion in 'Ohio Bait, Tackle, Taxidermy, etc. Marketplace' started by mojo, Aug 4, 2004.

1. I'm curious how much a replica mount would cost and how much of a picture and length it takes. I caught a 6 lb 22'' bass last week that i released and am just curious if i could get a replica mount made. i only have 2 pictures on of it (in the nw forum) so i doubt i could get one. for future reference though i would like to know. thanks

2. You can ALWAYS have a replica made. It helps a lot to have the girth, but you can always guess. A taxidermist will show you a few and you can pick the one that looks the closest. To be honest, you don't even really need the picture, unless there was something unusual about the fish. A good taxidermist knows how to paint a bass, and most paint all of them pretty much the same. Make sure you take your time picking a good quality taxidermist. If someone seems cheap, they're cheap for a reason. Get the very best you can afford, it's worth it in the end. I've seen very few top quality replicas, but they are out there, you'll just have to look.
    Forgot to mention price. Good replica mounts are more expensive than traditional skin mounts. A good blank alone can run at least $7/inch. For a good quality mount, expect in the $10/in range and on up from there.

3. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

I looked at your photos, you should be able to give those to whomever you select as the taxidermist to do your replica.

I looked up the cost of the largemouth replica for that paticular size of fish in my taxidermy supply catalogs. The cost for the replica itself ranges from $88-$98. Tack on for the extra things such as eyes, paint, misc. supplies....Depending on the taxidermist your looking at having do the work, the cost should be $250 and up.

hope this helps.

flash---------------------------------------------out

4. do you have a taxidermist lined up???
    i know one who does replicas.
    let me know and i'll give you his number.
    fish4wall

5. Thanks for the replies. I would love the mount but its just not going to happen on my graduate school stipend. mabye in a few years. i went back to that pond this weekend and my buddy landed a 20 incher. i'll pull another hog out of there yet.