Replacing Stringers

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Chub Buster II, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Chub Buster II

Chub Buster II Dang Let's Go Gettem!!

Alright you Lake Erie maniacs talk to me. :)

My question is on stringer replacement.

My father's boat is a 27' 1994 Sportcraft Fishmaster. Father ran into this boat early last year buying it from it's original owner. Can't tell you how many hours it has on it as I don't know and pop can't remember. However it's not been chartered but has been fished seriously on a regular basis. Boat came with practically all the gear one needs to fish Lake Erie any style. Wonderful dream deal Dad ran into in my opinion.

Boat has 350 Merc Cruiser in it. We've fished it pretty good for the last 1.5 years. Runs good. Everythings sounds good. No major vibration, rattleing etc... Rides smooth in the water other than rougher water conditions of course.:) This is the first inboard we've ever owned and I am aware of most things with an inboard but would like some educational suggestions and information any of you Lake Erie faithfuls could give us on Stringers. We appreciate it.

Specifically:
    - Signs of needing replaced/what to lookout for?
    - Any daily maintenance checks concerning the stringers?
    Things of that nature.

We don't see any issues at this time but are aware that eventually they'll possibly need replaced. I'll stop there for now. I welcome any and all discussion on stringers. My ears are open.

2. NUM1FIRE

NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

sometimes it takes longer than 1 hour and 17 mins for someone to reply. i have never done it or seen it done so i cant help you there

3. Chub Buster II

I originally posted in the Lake Erie forum. Came back later to check and my post was gone. So I found it in my subscribe threads and brought it back to the top. Didn't realize the moderator moved it to the Boat and Motor section. Didn't realize there was a forum board on "Boats and Motors". My bad. Honest mistake.

Kind of liked to have left it in the Erie forum as more attention there with inboard boats. But I understand organization on a forum is key too.

4. Workdog

Workdog "One More Time"

Several different ways to check stringers I guess. Some more expensive than the other. Are there cracks or voids in the fiberglass along the stringer that shouldn't be there (especially where the stringer joins the hull bottom)? Do your stringers have limber holes (where water from one side of the stringer can flow through to the other side (allows water to flow towards the bottom of the bilge)? Check the limber hole to ensure it was encapsulated in resin/fiberglass (versus just a hole cut through the stringer). Water can soak into any portion of the stringer not encapsulated in fiberglass or resin. By the way, are all your stringers fully encapsulated in fiberglass? Some manufacturers are a little lax in this area. You could "tap" along the stringer with a hammer or handle end of a screw driver. You will notice a duller thud when you hit an area that has delamination or water intrusion. You could pay someone to do a moisture check with a moisture reader. Those things will let you know if there is water in your stringers. Lastly, you could drill into your stringers and see if the wood bits that come out are good wood or blackened goo. If you do this, ensure you completely fill the holes with epoxy so no new water can infiltrate there.

By the way, if the boat was put together correctly, there is no reason to believe you will ever have to replace the stringers. My boat is 19 years old and so far no problems with stringers.

Workdog

5. Chub Buster II

Workdog very good advice and questions to ask one's self when checking things out. Thank you much.

Yes all the stringer are encapsulated in fiber glass. The questions above that I really can't answer cause I don't know for sure. But I will pass any all the info and tips you've mentioned on to my father and we'll check it out. Next time we go up which should be beginning of August.

Much appreciated workdog.

Any other discussion folks. Tables open.

6. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

May I suggest you go over to Iboats.com and join in on the restoration forum. There are a lot of guys there very experienced in doing just about any kind of rehabilitation.

7. Chub Buster II