Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have at least 12 of Cabelas depth master line counter reels and most of them have a clutch bar that sticks when shifting from free spooling to cranking position making the reel inoperable. Tired of fooling with them so its time to replace them.

My question is replace them with what? In your opinion what is the best line counter reel for the money?

thanks for sharing your opinion.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Tekotas are the best out there right now. They are a little more expensive but well worth it. I have some that are around 10 years old and are as smooth as they were when I bought them. All I do is oil them after every season, replace the drag washers every couple of years. I fish with people that have the Okuma Coldwaters and I don’t like them. They click when you reel them, they seem to twist on the rod when bring in a big fish. They are not near the quality of the Shimano Tekotas. I used to run Daiwa Accudepth reels and they were fine for a couple of years and then they started breaking down all the time. Gears were stripping out, line counters stopped working, and handles breaking off. I have not used the new Penn line counter reels but I am going to buy a couple to try them out. They cost more than the Tekotas but we will see how they hold up when they are not back ordered and become available. Remember you get what you pay for when it comes to fishing reel. Cheaper is exactly what it is cheap. Quality and longevity will alway cost you more.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
As of right now, I have four Tekotas, two regular Coldwater reels, and two Coldwater reels with an upgraded drag by Tuna.
Short version: Buy a Tekota.
If price is an issue, get the Coldwater WITH the reel upgrades from Tuna.
I'd buy the Tekotas from Franks Great Outdoors or Erie Outfitters.

Reactions: ezbite

·
Walleyez Hunter
2,729 Posts
The new tekotas are too wide in my opinion, the old style was much better...IMO

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
if price isn't an issue then get tekota reels. but for a good reel at a lot less money that will last for many yrs the Daiwa sealine sg lc3b reels are great for the money. it there to much then for me its a toss-up between the Daiwa accudepth plus and the Okuma convector.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
i've got to admit i have a few convectors i use for local lake trolling and my downriggers and so far they've been great reels. i just like the daiwa sg17lc3b reels a little better.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Convectors either the 20's or the 30's. No need to do any up grades to them. Best bang for your buck. In my opinion there is no need to upgrade drags for fish in Lake Erie. Okuma told us the Cold waters and the convectors are the same inside. Now let the bashing begin.
Respectfully disagree.
There is NO comparison between the drag on a Tekota and the drag on Coldwater.
These are the only two type of Linecounters that I own. The Shimanos are superior in every way and are more durable. That said, I still enjoy the Coldwaters in certain situations.
The only downside is cost......but you get what you pay for.
You'll appreciate the nicer drag when you bring in above average sized walleye.....plus whatever hardware is on the line.
Tru Tips and Dypsies are better fished with a Tekota, IMHO.....especially the newer reels which have longer handles and faster gear ratios.
Bottom bouncing worm harnesses and cranks with no boards are fine with both reels.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
50 Tekotas would hurt my wallet, Captain Tim. :)

Tight lines!

·
retired pipefitter120/669 sprinkler fitter
1,387 Posts
Daiwa Accu depth plus 27s I don't fish every day so no need for top of the line. Some of mine have the gold side plates, I got 4 27s when FFF had them on sale need to put line on them.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
The older Tekota style which they don’t produce any longer as of two yrs ago I think, is supposed to be better than the new style. I have the older style and they are the best reel I’ve used IMO. The older style is a grey and gold color. Maybe you can find a few used ones, just know they go quick. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts