Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm new to using jerkbaits for saugeye. I've had some success using the smithwick pro rogue but one of the barbs broke off when I was unhooking a fish. I replaced it with a size 6 original mustad treble but it looks like the action has changed and I haven't gotten any bites on it since I replaced it. Can anybody recommend what brand and size hooks I should use to replace the broken treble? Thanks.

·
Registered
215 Posts
When ever I change one hook I replace them all. I had the same thing happen to some Rapalas, changed one hook and swam off center. Changed all hooks and it worked fine. Use the fine hooks. To heavy hook will throw the lure off kilter when retrieved.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When ever I change one hook I replace them all. I had the same thing happen to some Rapalas, changed one hook and swam off center. Changed all hooks and it worked fine. Use the fine hooks. To heavy hook will throw the lure off kilter when retrieved.
Thanks for the reply. Your advice really helped. I bought some size 6 ultrapoint mustads. Hopefully, it'll work when I switch all the hooks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips. I put new hooks on it only to get a bite but missed the fish then smash it against the rocks. Now it won't swim straight :mad:. I now have no choice but to get a new rogue Haha.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hahaha actually I didn't smash my lure on the follow up cast. When I pulled to dry the hook my rogue then came dislodged and then was flung back and hit the rocks. I'll have to buy new one along with a clown husky jerk later this week. I still have a super rogue I can use until then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.