Repair Danforth style anchor?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PatSea, Jun 16, 2008.

1. PatSea

PatSea

I have a 13 pound Hooker (Danforth style) anchor. I got it hung up in the rocks and to make a long story short I bent one of the flukes about 4" from it's original position. Needless to say it won't hold in the bottom because the flukes won't dig into the soft bottom. Is there some way to repair such an anchor? This is a galvanized hardened steel anchor. I think the fluke could be bent back into position if it was heated.

2. Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men Senior Member

You can but the heat will take away from the galvanize in that area and rust afterwards. We used to have some spray galvanizing in a can at work for touch ups but I cant find it anywhere, it's industrial.

3. PatSea

PatSea

Any more ideas?

4. Just heat it up, beat it back into shape. If it has to be hardened, quench it in water. Then paint it your favorite color. It's just an anchor.

5. Fishers of Men

Don't drop danforths in the rocks, use only on soft bottoms and get a rock anchor for the rocks.
    There are these that you rig to pull out backwards: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...=true&storeNum=88&subdeptNum=450&classNum=450

And you can make one of these with some re-bar. When it gets fouled, get the line straight up and down, wrap a cleat, power up and a leg will straighten out, pull it in, use a 12" crescent or a piece of pipe and bend it back.
    I do this all the time on fla on the reefs.
    http://www.coastaloutdoors.com/ibf/index.php?showtopic=11058

6. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

Ummm. I'm not so sure I'd suggest that......

As for the bent anchor, just keep going up in size til you find the hammer that does the job.:p :p

7. Fishers of Men

It's an experience move. Should have said a Bow cleat.

8. creekcrawler

I'll still respectfully disagree.
    It is a good way to remove a bow cleat or wash the forward deck though...
    :p :) :C

9. Fishers of Men

He He, I have done it for years. Yep you can get a wash job but 3/8 re-bar straightins fairly easy and after a few times it even weakens. You don't have to give it hell, just tighten up really, when a swell lifts you it usually will come loose.

10. creekcrawler

My Bad! I didn't see the anchor you were talking about.
    Yup, that'd work fine.
    I though you were talking about a regular anchor on Lake Erie.
    My apologies, sir.

11. Fishers of Men

Thats fine, if not done correctly, a guy could easily swamp himself.