Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a new remote kicker motor steering device for 7.5 hp, any suggestions on brand and model or what type to stay away from
:T

·
getting wEYESer every day
1,288 Posts
When I have the spare money I'll buy an ez steer for mine. Until then, I made one of my own.

100_0906s.jpg

Attachments

·
1,288 Posts
Almost. What looks like tubing is 3/8 threaded rod with a piece of 3/8 hose over it. A couple of garden tractor steering joints, air compressor quick disconnects, stainless rod and plate. Nothing fancy, and I'll have to disconnect it when I raise either motor since it's not self adjusting. It'll do til I can afford the ez steer.

·
1,288 Posts
$100 is a good deal. But it's outboard to outboard. I need mercruiser (pre-alpha) to outboard. There's another guy on there looking for just the pre-alpha bracket.

Thanks for the heads up Het. Right now I want to get to the outing, have a great time, and get home. We'll see how much I have left over after that. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, have looked at linkage type just wondering how difficult it is to hook and unhook when you raise and lower the kicker? Has anyone tried the Panther Remote or Troll Daddy the 12 volt type that is an independent unit?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I don't remember the cost but you can contact them and they are very helpful ( I think it was 300-400 bucks). Very easy to install-6 screws into the transom and connect it to the 9.9;then some wires to the battery. The remote may have 100 bucks or so-but I am telling ya-makes trolling easy-almost as good as an autopilot.:D

·
1,288 Posts
Just got an e-mail back from ez-steer I sent 2 weeks ago. They say they don't have a distributor in Indiana, but I can get them through Cabelas.

It also said I need to have at least 23" center-to-center between my sterndrive and kicker. I have only 21". I need to move the kicker mount anyway, up higher. So I'll move it over another 2" also. Whoever put the mount on to begin with (looks like it was originally sold with the boat) mounted it so low it is in it's highest position at operating height. Oh well, it'll have to do for this weekend unless I get overly ambitious and have everything else done and packed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts