Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw where Remington filed for bankruptcy again. I always liked Remington shotguns. Seems like they just cannot manage their high level of debt.

·
Registered
16,252 Posts
And money is historically cheap...

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
The place i worked for (RG Steel), back in the "00" s, i believe, was bought out by Cerberus. At that time, they owned S&W, but not Remi. They didn't stick around long, but bought us all new and never had tools. Money was never an issue with them.
To be honest, they didn't stick around long enough for me to learn much about them.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Winchester had the world by the butt pre 64. They didn’t put money in new production methods and did some bad diversification’s. Colt has done the same thing. Remington is no different. You have to keep in mind none of these companies exist anymore. They are all owned by corporations. I can’t keep up with who owns what or who owns who anymore. I really don’t care because they are all putting out junk or having guns made off shore and brought in branded. I don’t need anything they are hawking.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Too much debt...I'm sure recalling 7.5 Million rifles didn't help.
That’s not what I ask. The 700 deal has been going on for several years. Was there a new ruling or something that brought this back to the front? The cost of fixing the problem in design was pennies per unit. The last I saw was $15 a unit. There was also estimate of how many would be returned. No small issue but only one of several that is putting Remington in the Red.

·
Registered
599 Posts
The big gun makers have gone, with the big three auto makers. Courprate greed , makeing junk, law suites ect, ect.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Sandyhook?
No, I forget details but there was accidental discharge that killed a family member in a hunting camp. That’s what started the ball rolling. It didn’t help that in company records it was noted as defect and could have been remedies for pennies. I don’t ever put faith in any mechanical device. Any time someone gets shot it’s operator error, or success. When I was young I always loaded 6 in my Ruger Single-6 22lr. One day I fell out of a tree backwards into some brush. I landed on my back as gun went off. Shot through my calf from back to front. A HP bullet,didn’t open because muscles were lax. Still brought tears to my eyes. I didn’t sue Ruger but a guy in Alaska did same thing and won 4.7 Million judgement. This is only place in the world where you get rewarded for being stupid.

·
Where’s the bass?
253 Posts
Funny that Cerberus comes up here. I just finished a book about the downfall of Anchor Hocking Glass in Lancaster. At one time the largest glass container maker in the world and employer of 5000 in Lancaster alone. Cerberus Capital Management is a private equity firm that helped bring them down. There were others before them, Newell and Monomoy, but they all suck the blood and money out of a company. Remington probably will continue to die a slow death.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts