·
On the back 9 and loving it!
10,351 Posts
I had one too when I had a paper route.

Reactions: $diesel$ and Yeada

·
Registered
20 Posts
Makes me wonder if a person would go to a gas station, pump gas, check tires , wash windows etc….
and just work for tips, would people be receptive and could a person make a living doing so?
The hood rats actually are doing that at gas stations in the hood. Gettysberg Dr in Dayton. So there must be some money in it .. ?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Growing up I checked traps in the dark then ran my paper route. Never met a person that ran a paper route as a kid and wasn’t a successful person in life.
checking traps was years after the TV guide and paper routes and a "step up" in annual earnings:LOL:

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
In high school my brother and I ran a 40 mile trap line together, and my dad ran another 40 mile trap line on his own, we had a fox hunting club that would buy live fox from us, we would sell them 75 live fox every year. They would get antibiotic shots and a set of them for parvo&distemper we would keep them for minimum of 2 weeks before they got picked up. We had a large rack of kennels that could collect their urine and that was sold to a couple different lure makers. Brother and I would get up at 3 am, run the line, go to school, go to wrestling practice, get home, skin and put up the furs that weren't being sold live, give all of those that were their shots and feed and water them. Then sleep a few hours and do it all over again. Man what I would give to be able to do that again! ***disclaimer for internet police**This was all before you had to have a license to keep and sell live, the game warden would stop by frequently to hang out and BS with us, Dad was a trapper ed instructor for years.

reelylivinsportfishing.com

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
In high school my brother and I ran a 40 mile trap line together, and my dad ran another 40 mile trap line on his own, we had a fox hunting club that would buy live fox from us, we would sell them 75 live fox every year. They would get antibiotic shots and a set of them for parvo&distemper we would keep them for minimum of 2 weeks before they got picked up. We had a large rack of kennels that could collect their urine and that was sold to a couple different lure makers. Brother and I would get up at 3 am, run the line, go to school, go to wresting practice, get home, skin and put up the furs that weren't being sold live, give all of those that were their shots and feed and water them. Then sleep a few hours and do it all over again. Man what I would give to be able to do that again! ***disclaimer for internet police**This was all before you had to have a license to keep and sell live, the game warden would stop by frequently to hang out and BS with us, Dad was a trapper ed instructor for years.

reelylivinsportfishing.com
Use to hunt turkey in an area that had a fox farm in Pa....you could smell it before you would see it...

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #638 ·
Remember when.......the blizzard 0f 78 was the storm of the century ?

It still is

CLEVELAND — Forty-four years ago... do you remember? I don't but I've heard the stories and I've studied the weather features of The Blizzard of 1978.
What I do remember is yesterday. Over a foot of snow in most spots and a lot of people saying it was the worst they've seen it. We dug cars out of our parking lot for hours before the snowplow arrived because the plows were snowed in. But how does that compare to 1978
Monday morning's winds were gusting 35mph. Plus, temps in the mid-20s, wind chills in the teens and heavy snow all dropping visibility under a half a mile at times. Jackknifed city buses, cars stuck all over the roads and ODOT begging for Northeast Ohioans to avoid travel if at all possible. Storm total snowfall numbers at Cleveland Hopkins Airport came in at 8.2 inches.
So how does that stack up to 1978? Well, more snow fell yesterday. Only 6 inches fell during the Blizzard of 1978. But that's not all. Hurricane-force winds, in excess of 70mph blew that 6 inches into drifts over 20 feet tall! Visibility was well under 1/4 of a mile and tractor-trailers were buried. Those winds also dropped wind chills to 50 degrees below zero.
For you weather buffs, the lowest pressure in the state of Ohio was also recorded on that day at 28.28. The National Guard was called in to help rescue people that were stuck for days, 51 people died in the storm. The Blizzard of 1978 really was the Storm of the Century

·
Registered
247 Posts
I was there in 78. 20 miles south of Lorain. 2-3 in. of snow in fields but drifts in roads higher than my pick -up. You found out if your house had air leaks on the west side because the wind would push snow inside. Remember neighbors modular home having snow inside under west windows. The storm devistated the quail population. Would have been more deaths in area if not for the snowmobile clubs back then. Ialso remember the National Guard with their v-plows and huge snowblowers . The one in 77 was an eye opener also. I remember in early 60s watching my dad & oldest brother dig out driveway.They used scoop shovels that were 16-18 in. tall blades. They would cut one full block from the top then take a second full block to reach the gravel.That was the deepest level snow in area I can remember. Of course we did not have the wind & cold of 77 & 78 that year.

621 - 640 of 696 Posts