Ohio Game Fishing banner
561 - 580 of 626 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Remember when you worked at the gas station and had to ask leaded or unleaded?
I pulled into a gas station recently and pulled up to the pumps. I only stopped there to enter an address into my phone for Google maps. Freaked me out when somebody came up to the driver's window. I said I'm sorry am i blocking you and he said no sir would you like regular or premium. Very strange to have full service after all these years.

Kip

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
sooo... remember when you could get self service gas? 1st time I remember seeing self service was down in Ciny and was one of those nights you really needed snow tires as Reheads speaks of, cold, really a cold biting wind off the river, stopped for gas... "self service"? THIS IS PROGRESS? As King Solomon said nothing new under the sun

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
10,118 Posts
I used to work at the Bond's store in the Eastwood Mall! I remember Clarkins and Miracle Mart. I don't think we ever went to Giant Tiger, but the stores I really remember were Valley View out in Brookfield, and Consolidated Warehouse in downtown Youngstown. Valley View was Wal Mart before Wal Mart. Consolidated Warehouse always made me drool. Just inside the door on the right was a glass case where they displayed Garcia-Mitchell 300 and 400 series spinning reels! I wanted one so bad, but I think they cost in the low 20 dollar range back then! My folks thought that was outrageous!

·
10,118 Posts
Heck. Just remember when you could still buy bias ply tires. One of my oldest buddies was all hung up on bias ply tires! I have no idea why! But, we were talking one day and he complained that he couldn't get 15K miles out of them. I asked why he was still putting them on his vehicle. This was back in the day when they were still readily available. He replied that it was because the radials were twice as expensive. I told him that they last about 4 times as long! I had gotten 60K out of my last set of radials. If you have to change out 4 sets of bias ply, against one set of radials, you're still money ahead! Then I asked him if he still watched black and white TV, played 8 track tapes, or watched Super 8 movies any more!

Then I reminded him of some of the idiosyncracies of bias ply tires. Like how your vehicle would kind of skitter around on off and on ramps when there was a little rain down. Or, how when you'd try to change lanes on the highway at speed, the bias ply tires would want to "hang up" on the seam between lanes. I finally talked him into them, and he called me saying that he was amazed at how nice those tires drove!

He's a hell of a nice guy, but he can be a stubborn bonehead sometimes!

Reactions: fireline and Lewis

·
cheeryo
984 Posts
I pulled into a gas station recently and pulled up to the pumps. I only stopped there to enter an address into my phone for Google maps. Freaked me out when somebody came up to the driver's window. I said I'm sorry am i blocking you and he said no sir would you like regular or premium. Very strange to have full service after all these years.

Kip
NY state is like that, they stand on static mats while pumping your gas. NJ also.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Remember when you drank a little cup with Polio vaccine in 1 st grade ,or the vaccine that scabbed over on your arm and left a permanent scar
I use to think everybody had that scar, just like we all have a bellybutton. Wasn't until highschool I was told it was from a vaccine.

·
Registered
596 Posts
that was smallpox vaccine left the round scar on your arm

·
10,118 Posts
Remember when you drank a little cup with Polio vaccine in 1 st grade ,or the vaccine that scabbed over on your arm and left a permanent scar
that was smallpox vaccine left the round scar on your arm
Beat me to it, Whiskers! And I seem to recall getting a sugar cube for the Polio vaccine.

561 - 580 of 626 Posts