Ohio Game Fishing banner
441 - 460 of 512 Posts

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,924 Posts
you mean like this? Four percent fat, straight out of the cow. When the covid garbage got out of hand and no one could find butter we were skimming the cream and making our own. Nothing better.
My Grandma (Dad's Mom) had a milk cow until she got too old to milk them. She had quite the milk business in her neighborhood. I remember her bringing the pails in, and pouring the milk through cheesecloth into big glass jars that would go in the fridge. Almost half of if would rise as cream! Grandma could always spot a good milker.

She would always claim that my Mom could stand a little fattening up. She may have been right. My Mom wweighed 95lbs when she got pregnant with me, and weighed 102 just before I was born, so that extra 7lbs was basically me! So Grandma would serve us home made rolls with homes churned butter, and home canned peaches and cream! OMG, it was Heaven!

Every once in a while Grandma would get tired of the grind, and they would sell the cow. After a little while, my Grandma would slap the arms of her rocking chair and tell my Grandpa, "John, we need to get down to the Grange and find us a new milk cow!" My Grandpa would just throw his hands in the air and say, "Aw, Ida!"

·
Registered
52 Posts
My Grandma (Dad's Mom) had a milk cow until she got too old to milk them. She had quite the milk business in her neighborhood. I remember her bringing the pails in, and pouring the milk through cheesecloth into big glass jars that would go in the fridge. Almost half of if would rise as cream! Grandma could always spot a good milker.

She would always claim that my Mom could stand a little fattening up. She may have been right. My Mom wweighed 95lbs when she got pregnant with me, and weighed 102 just before I was born, so that extra 7lbs was basically me! So Grandma would serve us home made rolls with homes churned butter, and home canned peaches and cream! OMG, it was Heaven!

Every once in a while Grandma would get tired of the grind, and they would sell the cow. After a little while, my Grandma would slap the arms of her rocking chair and tell my Grandpa, "John, we need to get down to the Grange and find us a new milk cow!" My Grandpa would just throw his hands in the air and say, "Aw, Ida!"
awesome stuff. That type of stuff is going by the wayside. how Ilong for such simple times

·
9,924 Posts
Remember when gasoline had 10 cent splits between grades? Doesn't matter to me since my vehicle runs just fine on regular, but if you have to buy plus or premium you pay through the nose!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Regular gas was 32 cents a gallon and a new at that time was a company called Clark that started selling gas for 25 cents a gallon and had a hard time selling it because it ”has to have something wrong with it “ plus there were no service stations attached to them. Let’s see $3 then = 9 or 12 gallons to today’s 1 gallon…..!!

·
9,924 Posts
Yeah! And there were "gas wars" back them. You could throw 2 or 3 bucks worth of gas in the ride and cruise all day! One time I and some buds set out to cruise and get high. We drove all the way from the Youngstown area to Niagara Falls! And we didn't take the interstates until we got close. We just drove into PA on surface roads figuring we'd pop out somewhere on occasion that would give us an idea of where we were.

Eventually we crossed into upstate New York and came to an intersection where a sign said that Niagara Falls was 60-70 miles away. Well hell! If we're that close, let's go look at it. I had been there as little kid with my parents, but some of my buds had never been. So, we went and looked at it, and then drove home.

I think it would be nice to be so adventurous nowadays, but that's not going to happen. Back then we were invincible! We could knock over brick walls just by pressing on them! Whatever bad happened, we didn't need anybody's help. We'd figure it out!

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Remember when......Calling the dairy cows back to the barn for milking.. " Come Boss, Come Boss"

Sometimes we had to send the Collies after them "Sic em"

Reactions: joekacz

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Reactions: Redheads

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Is she your Bell Cow?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Was spending the night at a small hostel type motel on the Slovakia/ Poland border, and around 5:30 am awoke to the sound of bells. Opened the shutters and look outside to see a farmer walking about 25-30 head of cattle down the middle of the road, all wearing bells. It so moved me that I bought a bell from there and brought it home.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Was spending the night at a small hostel type motel on the Slovakia/ Poland border, and around 5:30 am awoke to the sound of bells. Opened the shutters and look outside to see a farmer walking about 25-30 head of cattle down the middle of the road, all wearing bells. It so moved me that I bought a bell from there and brought it home. View attachment 474515
Now, that's cool!

441 - 460 of 512 Posts