close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Remember to shut your motor off before you pull the boat out of the water!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TritonBill, Jun 2, 2005.

1. I was at Berlin on Sunday and I saw the funniest thing! I was in the section where you pull off to put the straps on, check things, etc when all the sudden here comes this truck pulling his boat that he just pulled out of the water and he drives past us and his outboard was still running!! For some reason it just seemed pretty comical at the time. So how long does it take for the motor to seize up without water!?

2. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Did you smell the beer on his breath as he drove by? :rolleyes:

3. So did they ever stop and shut it off?

4. Funny...people do dumb things...

I had a couple who shopped in my store,Went to cumberland,got done boating.Went to tie the back of boat down...took dog out of boat..tied leash to trailer...took off up the hill,people where yelling at them to stop..They forgot to untie the dog's leash,dragged dog up hill too..

5. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

While fishing an all-nighter up at Alum with AK. Guys pull up with there fancy new bass boat. Give us the the famous "Hmm bank fishermen" Launch the boat and high tail straight to shore as the boat starts to sink. Yep forgot to put the plug in. Nearly blew up their outboard by triming it all the way up as the boat gets grounded. Finally they get out of the boat, try to push it to no avail. One poor chap spent around 30 mins trying to get the plug it. After at least 45 to an hour they jump back in the boat and just take off toward the middle of the lake. Ak and i figured they were just to embaressed to come back by us and headed to the other side of the lake to warm up and dry out, lol

6. Aren't some of the 4 Strokes air cooled? If so I bet that guy wishes his was.:p

7. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

That sounds like a jet skier. They run them out of the water a lot. They are all nitwits anyway.

8. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

That dog incident reminds me of National Lampoon's Vacation.

Was the poor dog with clueless owners OK or was the leash the only thing ever found?

9. He did actually jump out of his truck when he got past us and ran back and turned the key off!

Not sure if he had beer or not on his breath, he didn't stick around too long.

10. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Well, it can and does happen to the best of them. This very thing happened to my father about 20 years ago. He was an experienced boater then as he is now. There's another thread running about inconsiderate/inexperienced boaters loading/unloading their boats and taking to much time at the ramps. Some times in our haste, we to can make some simple little mistake that may seem very entertaining to others. I've had my fair share too. Like last year, the day after the Hawgfest. I launched my boat, one buddy parked the truck/trailer, another went to the jon and I pulled up to the courtesy dock to meet back up with them. I (thought I) tied the dock line securely to a side cleat and hopped off the boat, only to turn around to pull on an untied rope. :eek: Well, needless to say my boat goes drifting down the Huron river before I could react. :D Fortunately, just as I had taken all the valuables from my pockets and laid my cell down, a couple of guys heading down river recognized what was happening and prevented me from having to do my best Johnny Wiesmuller imitation :D
    Takeaway: Make mental notes of what needs to happen when launching, docking and retrieving your boat. Never rely on someone else to do it. And above all, never let someone else rush you, but also be mindful that others are waiting for you to clear so they to can launch/retrieve their boat.

11. I think everyone has made a mental error or two while launching or getting back out. I was so anxious to get in the water two days ago I untied the back but not the front. But my buddy saw a real good one a couple years ago at Milton. I guess this old boy was launching at the 18 ramp and forgot to untie his boat. Well, I guess it was a pretty good size boat and when the boat floated the trailer floated (naturally) and it picked up the back of his van and at this stage he was in deep dudu. By the time my buddy saw him he had about 3 feet of water in his van. Things he had inside were floating out the window and he's yelling for my buddy to do something. I guess he got out of the van in time and the whole rig was deep sixed. Buddy said it was strange seeing that van submerged with it's headlights still on underwater. I guess the moral to this story is "Never be too anxious-slow down-be safe.

12. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Things do seem to happen when your in a hurry. I have forgoten the plug, for got one of the back tie downs. Good thing had the wife with me the day i for got the plug. I put in and went to park the truck and was talking to someone when i hear you better get over here now. Alot of water can come through a 1 inch hole very quickly.

13. Alwsfishin

Alwsfishin '73 24' Stamas

LOL......I got real tired of things I forgot to do ........I took Argee out to WB one time.....had to park the truck way up the other end of the lot....by the time I got there the tackle boxes were floatin.....now I use a laminated 3x5 card with a list of items to be done........when I launch or trailer the boat I just glance at the list and make sure everything was done.....it keeps you from driving down the road wondering if you tied the transom down etc....these handy laminated list can be purchased for $29.95....pm me with your order :p

14. Minor

Minor Wannabe Fisherman

LOL . . . did make a mistake last year . . .LOL . . .had the boat in the water for about 5 hours before i realized the reason that the boat wouldn't plane quick enough was that i left the plug out. . . . thank goodness i own a ranger cause i would have likely sunk that day . ..:( . .. good news is that when i went to get the ski pole out i saw a ton of water and realized that my plug was out when the ski locker was full of water . . . . .climbed down the back inserted the plug . . .pumped out the excess and went about my business . . . gotta love the unsinkable ranger if your a nucklehead like me .. .:)

15. ive had my eletric motor turn on whilei was standing next to it i was getting stuff out of the boat and hit the power the thing almost nicked my leg