close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

reloading slugs

Discussion in 'Guns and Ammo' started by Bulldog1149, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Anyone one here reloading sabot style slugs. I have been doing some reading on the topic and not found any great results. I have a friend of a friend that claims he loads the 350 gr hornady sabots with great succes. He apparently only uses a lee loadall and a roll crimper. Just wanted to get anyone's thoughts or results. I shoot a 12 ga. heavy barrel single shot H&R. It shoots fantastic groups out to 100 yds, but would like to get something that shoots a little faster and flatter than my 3" lightfields. Something more along the lines of my Omega muzzleloader. Any thoughts.

2. wader

wader Fishing Fool

It is possible in theory, but I've never met anyone who actually does it. I am calling Bravo Sierra on your buddy. With all of the variables to consider, I would avoid it for safety's sake.

3. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

4. Rednek

Rednek "The Widow's Son"

I've been pouring and reloading my own slugs for years for our entire hunting party.

I pour the 525gr Lyman Sabot Slug. This slug looks like an overgrown .22 cal. pellet.

Currently reloading them in a Remington STS case with a Winchester AA12 wad and a fold crimp.

Out of my Remington 870 Super Slugger with a Leupold 1x4 scope, I can achieve 3" groups (3 shot) at 100 yards when shot off of a Lead Sled rest.

They also shoot well out of smooth bores and they are destructive on deer.

The best thing is, I can reload 100 slugs for what some of you pay for 5.