Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
7th Season On Lake Erie
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am sure that "Releases" have been talked on OGF many times, but the subject is new to me :confused:

Had another chance to test the new big planer boards that I made last week.

I am using Big Jon planer reels [manual type] which are fitted with the standard 150 ft of line.

I have tried some Pilgrim Releases and some made using Offshore clips that I had available and the normal shower curtain hangers,

Not tried using rubber bands yet, but I have a 2 lb bag of the red bands which I use to put a 2oz weight 20ft in front of RR's.
[As another subject, Need some help understanding how the best way to rig them as releases ? ]

Because the boards pull hard, the reel lines are only slightly angled back from the boat and the releases I have tried don't want to slide down the line other than at a slow crawl.

So far I have only used RR's without weights and worm harness's with willow blades with 2 oz weights.

Is there some magic way to help the releases slide down the board lines easily ?

·
Lure Junkie
2,220 Posts
Where are you running your boards from probably need a higher pull point to get some slope

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
7th Season On Lake Erie
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Where are you running your boards from probably need a higher pull point to get some slope

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Sorry, I should have explained how they are rigged.
See the photo with my sketching on it below.

The Big Jon reels are mounted on the hand rails and the tow line runs up to a pulley mounted at the front of the hard top. That point is about 8ft above the water.

Can't get the lines any higher without adding a mast.

Attachments

·
7th Season On Lake Erie
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
What kind of shower curtain hangers are you using on the tow line? The metal one's are not as slick as the round plastic one's. Make sure you are using the round plastic one's.

·
FFL/SOT
424 Posts
There not going to slide down the line like their on a zip line it take some time. Just clip it to the line leave out in free spool with the clicker on and start letting out your next line when the first line is where you want it lock the real and repeat. I think weed wacker line works better than dacron. Another trick is to push the board line into the water that will force the release down the line. If you look through my posts there are picture of how to use rubber bands.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Be careful freespooling the releases on a down wind troll. The line can drop into the water and wrap the tow line. If this goes unnoticed, the next release can tangle in it causing the need for the board to be retrieved.

Never mind how I know about this and just about every other way to get messed up.

·
~~~~~~~~~
501 Posts
What kind of shower curtain hangers are you using on the tow line? The metal one's are not as slick as the round plastic one's. Make sure you are using the round plastic one's.
These are the best but watch for cheap ones that have a mismatched parting line. When cheaper ones are molded you'll sometimes see a raised edge on the inside diameter. You could use some fine grit sand paper and smooth them out though.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Be careful freespooling the releases on a down wind troll. The line can drop into the water and wrap the tow line. If this goes unnoticed, the next release can tangle in it causing the need for the board to be retrieved.

Never mind how I know about this and just about every other way to get messed up.
Been there several times lol...big mess lol. Like others have said let your line out slow and pay attention espescially if your going down wind.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Another thing I've found is cranks pull much better on big boards if you add 2 ounces of weight. Using jets instead of weights with worm harnesses makes your releases pull down your tow lines.

Greg

·
481 Posts
Neo is right they do take about a minute to get down to the board, which does seam like a eternity when first setting up. As far as realeases go, I have tried some different combos, as I was learning like you this year. Go with the pilgrim releases and attach the line to the release with the rubberband. Using just the release you can't tell when your dragging a small fish, with the rubberband it takes the wave shock out of the line so you can tell the head shakes.

·
7th Season On Lake Erie
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another thing I've found is cranks pull much better on big boards if you add 2 ounces of weight. Using jets instead of weights with worm harnesses makes your releases pull down your tow lines.

Greg
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Using inline planer boards we have been avoiding using Dipseys or Jets as we became pretty efficient at using worm harness's with various lead weights on 6ft leaders. We almost know what we are doing setting up that way :)

But I can understand that the added pull of dipseys etc will take the release down the tow line better.

Does this spending ever stop ....lol ...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Use aluminum carabiners, can buy in bulk cheap off of ebay, they slide much better than the shower curtain rings. Also running off your hardtop without an extremely hard pulling board will be an issue, 99% of the time they will pull and slide better with a mast.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
I always just used the metal shower curtain rings that's shaped like a pear and never had a problem getting them to slide down the tow line. but like workdog said the plastic round ones might work better. but the pear shaped rings worked just great for me. and I buy the regular rubber bands that's made for releases. you can find them at most bait shops. they come in light and heavy weight. I use the light weight ones. the light weight ones are red and the heavy weight ones are tan. I've bought them at the Geneva marina and at karrens shop in Geneva and I've ordered them from fishusa.com. but the shipping is a little rough if you just buy one bag. but these bands work so much better than the ones you get at wall mart or office depot or other places. but the rubber bands that's made for releases is I believe 2 lbs to brake them. but they will stretch when you get a small fish on.
sherman

·
Registered
269 Posts
G4DYR,

I remember when I was right where you are now...making the switch to big boards. I got real good at running weights and I didn't think I would ever need or want to use Tru Trip jets. Now, after a summer of running them and seeing all the advantages, I prefer them over weights for big boards. With a big boat and big boards, you can definitley fish more days...the days when the waves have your little boards tumbling and skiing over each other. But there are advatages to each and disadvatages. And like Jim touched on, when things go bad with big boards and 5 or 6 lines on one side...get ready to pull a board in and start cutting lol.

Greg

·
7th Season On Lake Erie
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Use aluminum carabiners, can buy in bulk cheap off of ebay, they slide much better than the shower curtain rings. Also running off your hardtop without an extremely hard pulling board will be an issue, 99% of the time they will pull and slide better with a mast.
Thanks I will take a look for Aluminum Carabiners.

If the height is similar, I don't understand why pulling the boards off the hard top or from a mast would make any difference to the way the releases slide down the board tow rope ?

These new boards are pulling very hard and the tow lines don't sag much at all at 1.8 mph. In fact I can't reel them in while trolling.

·
7th Season On Lake Erie
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
G4DYR,

I remember when I was right where you are now...making the switch to big boards. I got real good at running weights and I didn't think I would ever need or want to use Tru Trip jets. Now, after a summer of running them and seeing all the advantages, I prefer them over weights for big boards. With a big boat and big boards, you can definitley fish more days...the days when the waves have your little boards tumbling and skiing over each other. But there are advatages to each and disadvatages. And like Jim touched on, when things go bad with big boards and 5 or 6 lines on one side...get ready to pull a board in and start cutting lol.

Greg
Greg, the name is Roy, G4DYR is my British Amateur Radio call sign and wish I had not used it when I registered for this great forum.

You are on the money about not wishing to change how we set up, kind of just got comfortable, and the nurse has come in to change the Bed. :(

I hear a lot of talk on 68 and 79 about Tru Trips but have no clue how they differ to normal Jets or Dipseys ?

And as you say, having a 33ft boat and using big boards means we go out when the forecast is waves of 2' to 4'. It was 3 to 4's when these big boards first got wet and they ran just fine. And I could not have run inline planers easily in those waves, or 4 out either side !

So what are all the advantages of running these Tru Trips then :D ??

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Greg, the name is Roy, G4DYR is my British Amateur Radio call sign and wish I had not used it when I registered for this great forum.

You are on the money about not wishing to change how we set up, kind of just got comfortable, and the nurse has come in to change the Bed. :(

I hear a lot of talk on 68 and 79 about Tru Trips but have no clue how they differ to normal Jets or Dipseys ?

And as you say, having a 33ft boat and using big boards means we go out when the forecast is waves of 2' to 4'. It was 3 to 4's when these big boards first got wet and they ran just fine. And I could not have run inline planers easily in those waves, or 4 out either side !

So what are all the advantages of running these Tru Trips then :D ??
True trips are like a jet diver but have a release like a dipsy for when the fish hits. They have a very good dive chart and make fishing short leads at given depth very easy. I switched from jets to true trips this year and am very pleased...a true trip 40 needs 125' of 30 lbs braid to reach 40'.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.