Release Question ?

Discussion in 'Muskie & Pike Discussions' started by seapro, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Has anyone ever torpedoed a muskie back into the water to revive it? :confused:

Seems like I remember someone advising to do it on an exhausted muskie. I know they do it to other fish to get the water to rush over the gills and to basically stun them back or revitalize them. I'm not sure if I just happened to think about this for a muskie or if I actually heard it.

Freaking senior moments!! And I'm still young!!! :mad:

2. Lake St Clair
    I know some folks from Amherstburg, Ontario that fish Clair.

That's what they do, torpedo muskies back. They say it works. I myself have never done it.

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

I did once with a smaller musky that didn't want to go down. Never saw him come up again.

I saw a well-known musky angler do this at Alum Creek in the summer a couple years ago. It was his way of releasing a fish without stopping his trolling run. The fish was in the low 40's class and I spent the next 20 minutes or so reviving it while this butthead kept trolling around the lake.
    The fish did eventually go down under its own power.

I've seen it work once out of two instances. I would save it as a last resort.

4. Esoxhunter

Good deal on reviving the buttheads Musky. Had about the same thing happen at Clear Fork last year .
    Only I think the guy wanted the fish dead.
    He mishandled that fish from the get go. He had it on the floor of his boat at least 5 minutes.
    If he wanted it dead, he got his wish.

5. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

I've done it but the fish weren't large only around 36 inches and weren't exhausted. Use equipment big enough to get the fish to the boat fast and don't fool around with it. In other words don't play the fish to exhaustion !

6. Trimmer

Trimmer Visiting Site Owner

I personally don't recommend this for fish that are large and very tired.
    when a fish is hooked and fighting it looses its ability to remove oxygen
    while fighting during landing. a large fish may take a few minutes to recover enough to keep her self up-right and calm enough to be able to start to recover

A torpedo shot back into the water for a large fish that is very tired in my opinion will not only not revive the fish in may put it so far from you that you might not be able to reach the fish to help her recover in time.. a young fish that is quickly released in cool or cold water may be able to handle this fine but as a rule this is no way to release a musky

Musky are pretty easy to kill even if you try to do the right thing.. landing a musky while trolling in the middle of the summer where you bring the fish from cold water to the warm surface water can kill a fish even if you do all you can to save it.. I'm not say it will happen every time but it does happen.. for this reason I do not fish for musky once the surface gets over 80 degrees

Trimmer:G

7. Sometimes they are exhausted no matter what you do! I've only lost one musky to exhaustion and it was on a very hot day (98 degrees and I pulled him from a spring in the lake). I was using trolling equipment and did have what you would call proper gear. Medium heavy rod with baitcaster and 30lb braid.

Trimmer, I agree with you on the hot day trolling. Seems to me that was what the article was referring to. Stated that a musky that wasn't responding to attempts at revival could be sent back down to the cooler water and also get oxygen rushed over their gills by torpedoeing.
    Maybe it was a last ditch effort? I don't know where I heard or saw this but I'll try and find it.

The incident stated is why I'm trying to figure this out. I don't want that to happen again.

8. Elmer Heyob from the ODNR has a technique he uses for releasing muskies that he described for us a couple years ago. I will try to remember as much as possible.

Basically after landing a muskie he takes 4lb-6lb mono and ties a small #6 hook on one end and hooks it in the muskies mouth, the other end he ties to his anchor (or downrigger if you have one) he lowers the anchor (with fish attached) to 10'-15' and uses his trolling motor to slowly move the fish forward in the water. When the fish is strong enough it will break the light line and swim away. The hook will desolve in a few days.

I have never tried this method but he says it works. If anyone tries it please let me know how it works for you.

9. I don't really like the torpedo method. I've used it with mixed results. I like the use of a cradle. Get the Musky in the cradle and goose the boat forward slowly to get the water moving thru the fish. When its strong enough to swim away drop one side of the cradle.

10. Chris, I've done it on CC. My hands were wilted up from trying to revive a mid 30s fish, I pulled out the anchor line and hooked her up...down to about 12 feet...30 seconds...gone. Went around the place slowly for about an hour or so to make sure it stayed down...too many people going from idle to WOT right there and no one would have seen it if it were floating or barely sumberged. I'm fairly certain it worked.