Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently told by a couple folks who work at the Ranger Station on Old State in Allum Creek state Park that I need to register my float tube! I'm new to the state and have never heard of such a thing. Is this true? Do I really need to register my float tube? I mean, I couldn't even get the OH numbers to stay stuck on the tube!

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
The first few paragraphs include:

manually propelled inflatables without hull ID numbers are not considered watercraft by definition. Therefore, the Ohio registration and titling laws do not apply.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I actually looked all over the ODNR website and some places say no, some say yes. I guess I'll just call em.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The law, as I understand it, has to do with the number of chambers in the float. One chamber - no registration needed. Two or more needs to be registered. Most newer float tubes have at least two, so you will probably need registration.

This question has come up on this site many times in the past. Most tubers end up putting the OH numbers on some sort of mounting plate and zip tying these to the tube.

The question of why has more to do with drawing the line between a kid on an old innertube and Zodiac or other inflatable boat. Those are the two extremes with a lot of gray area in between. Ohio tends to stick to the letter of the law and that is where the two-chamber definition comes in.

·
Registered
106 Posts
inflatables can be registered under one of two types of registration, traditional where you have an OH number and a sticker for the fee of 12.00 plus 3 for writing total 15.00 or alternative which would be no Oh numbers needed, and just a sticker which would be 17.00 plus 3 for writing total 20 dollars unless the inflatable has a motor attached whereas it needs to be changed to a propulsion registration. Float tubes do not fall under any catagory. unless your local lake requires you to pay a fee to use a float tube. Also float tubes are not considered boats and in some parks and waterways are technically not permitted to be used but is often overlooked as an officers call. Because swimming is often only in designated areas, float tubes can be catagorized as recreational floats and not permitted except in swimming areas. again a judgement call by the Watercraft officer or Ranger. But they do not need registration. nor do your inflatable rubber ducks, or water wings for your kids. go to ODNR state of ohio watercraft registration website for info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts