Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a newbie to Ohio I'm a little hazy when it comes to some things. I stopped in at the Ranger's Station on Old State Rd. by Allum for some info. I asked what the boat-size regs were on the lake. The guy and girl there told me there was no boat-size limit, as long as you had your OH numbers. I asked, "even for a pontoon or float tube?" They said, "yep." Where I'm from there is a length class for registering water craft. Float tubes do not fall into that length class, thus they don't need to be registered. Some toons do, depending on their size, but most don't. So, do I really need to register my float tube to use it in Ohio??

·
Registered
830 Posts
I have a toon. Only 6 and a half feet long, but because it has two air chambers it has to be registered. Same as floats as long as their are two air chambers. My toon cost me 15 bucks for 3 yrs. I had to write the OH numbers
on my tube and I dangle my laminated sticker from my oar locks.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
do you have a float tube or a pontoon boat? float tubes did not have to be registered 2 yrs ago unless they have changed the law...

These have to be registered...

but the circular ones do not "used to be" they saw them as single chamber since they did not have them divided like left / right!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a toon. Only 6 and a half feet long, but because it has two air chambers it has to be registered. Same as floats as long as their are two air chambers. My toon cost me 15 bucks for 3 yrs. I had to write the OH numbers
on my tube and I dangle my laminated sticker from my oar locks.
I believe this to be true. any tube/'toon with two or more air chambers must be registered.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish I had a toon. Nope just a float tube, round boat at that. It does have two air chambers (one for the main tube and one for a head rest) what do you guys think? The ODNR website pretty much says it has to be and it doesn't have to be. I may just have to call em.

·
Off the beaten path
935 Posts
You rowing that thing with cleats on your boots? WOW, I'd be nervous seeing I trip over my own shoelace now and then. On a side you DO have to regiser a pontoon.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had others tell me that float tubes don't need to be. I think I'm just going to risk it and hope that if I get into trouble I can cite their website. It says that they should be and shouldn't be so that to me says that if they want you to, they won't enforce it. My thought is, if they aren't going to to the time to make it clear enough to comply with, then I won't go through the time and money it takes to comply.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Good luck...I got nailed in Maine once for not having a life jacket in an inflatable raft. The game warden said if I was just splashing around in the water like kids do, he wouldn't have written me up, but because I was fishing, it changed the purpose of use. The game warden was belligerent and I didn't argue with him. They can be nasty when they want to be...I hope for your sake that you don't run into them.
z

P.S. - I have an inflatable pontoon that I have used for 5 years now, and this is the first time I have heard about the regulations concerning inflatables...point is this - if the state can find a way to get into your wallet, they will!! If you register your inflatable, they get your money...if you don't and get caught, they get even more! Sorry for the rant friends...it just isn't fair...welcome to Mr. Roger's neighborhood boys and girls...can you say "confiscatory?"
z

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I sent an email to the watercraft division of the odnr with a picture of a float tube and asked for clarification on registering them. If I get a response, then I will be sure to let everyone know.

·
Banned
24 Posts
Being a newbie to Ohio I'm a little hazy when it comes to some things. I stopped in at the Ranger's Station on Old State Rd. by Allum for some info. I asked what the boat-size regs were on the lake. The guy and girl there told me there was no boat-size limit, as long as you had your OH numbers. I asked, "even for a pontoon or float tube?" They said, "yep." Where I'm from there is a length class for registering water craft. Float tubes do not fall into that length class, thus they don't need to be registered. Some toons do, depending on their size, but most don't. So, do I really need to register my float tube to use it in Ohio??
No you don't have too. I also have a float tube with two air chambers (I have two spots to pump up). I went through this same crap a few years ago. Long story short, you don't have to register it and can use it where you wish just like a boat. I take mine to Alum and Hoover all the time and even talk to the rangers (while in the tube in the water). When I first got it, I did try to register it, but kept getting told I don't have to register it (this was with me taking the float tube with me and actually showing it to them). So after trying and trying just to keep getting told it doesn't need registered, I gave up and have been using it ever since. I caught a nice cat up at Alum last summer with Leckig and had a blast fighting it. At first it was pulling me around, then stopped and just spun me in a circle until I landed it. Have fun with your tube man. I don't fly fish (because I don't have the equipment), but I love my tube. :D This is the float tube I have.

Thats not me in the photos. Those are from the site to the company that makes it. I have flippers, anchor, floating fish basket, and life jacket so far for it. I have a small pond out in the woods I know of from when I was a kid that I plan on taking it to soon just to see whats in it.

·
Seasoned Member
64 Posts
Gang, I have to relate this story from my past. I think you will get a little chuckle from it.

A client of mine was scheduled to go to the Moscow olympics with his kayake but the show was canceled in '88. He still practiced and went on several major adventures each year. You know, little things like the White and the Green River Class V action.

This gentleman would take his boat down to the local park and get some exercise. One day a ranger hailed him over from his john boat with the electic trolling motor. He was told that he would have to get a ticket for not having registration numbers on his kayake.

Rather indignant, the gentleman told off the officer about putting registration numbers on his hand made olympic class boat. He sped away across the lake with olympic grace leaving the officer stuggling with his electric motor. The kayake was on top of the car and speeding away before the officer made it to shore.

I guess some things were just not meant to be!:eek:

·
Banned
24 Posts
Gang, I have to relate this story from my past. I think you will get a little chuckle from it.

A client of mine was scheduled to go to the Moscow olympics with his kayake but the show was canceled in '88. He still practiced and went on several major adventures each year. You know, little things like the White and the Green River Class V action.

This gentleman would take his boat down to the local park and get some exercise. One day a ranger hailed him over from his john boat with the electic trolling motor. He was told that he would have to get a ticket for not having registration numbers on his kayake.

Rather indignant, the gentleman told off the officer about putting registration numbers on his hand made olympic class boat. He sped away across the lake with olympic grace leaving the officer stuggling with his electric motor. The kayake was on top of the car and speeding away before the officer made it to shore.

I guess some things were just not meant to be!:eek:
Lol, thanks for sharing. Man thats pretty funny.

·
Registered
206 Posts
This isn't related to registering float tubes, but I was wondering what the laws are regarding life jackets when on a float tube.

Do you need to be wearing one or can you just have one on the tube with you?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Bought one at Dick's last week. The guy let me know, no numbers needed.

I "assume" he knows what is up...said he owned a couple himself along with a canoe and kayak...all which had to be registered.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I took the risk on Saturday and took the tube out on Allum. Didn't see any fish cops, so I didn't get the chance to ask, but it sounds like the tubes are good to go without, so until some one gets a ticket for it, go for it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts