close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Registering float tubes, kayaks, etc...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Biodude, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Hey folks. I finally got my kayak registered which was an ordeal! The woman working at the BMV informed me that anything that floats that you use anywhere besides a swimming pool must be registered! I asked her about float tubes, inflatables towed behind a boat, etc. Same answer! I wonder if I'm going to have to register my young son's inflatable wingies,lol!!! Personally, me thinks she's (i was asked to edit my comment)

2. lureboy98

lureboy98 Livin' the Lifestyle

Biodude, can you post what you had to do to register your kayak? I plan on using my float tube this year and I guess I need to register it. In the past I had heard it was a good idea but was not absolutely necessary.

3. Lureboy,
    1st of all, I bought the kayak to fish in the ocean in Delaware, which has no registration needed. Therefore, I didn't think I needed it if I fished less than 60 days a year w/ it in Ohio. Wrong. I needed the original receipt of sale (lost). I couldn't get a copy since the kayak shop that sold it to me closed down. Then I needed to find the id # that was on the hull. It took me over an hour to find it since it was just lightly scratched into the plastic and I couldn't see it. I went to the DMV in December and was told I needed to come back cuz they were out of 04 registration forms and didn't have the 2005 forms in yet. Went in again on a Saturday and was told there was a problem w/ the ID# on the yak. I was told I needed to come in again another time since the DNR (?) was closed on weekends and couldn't resolve it. Apparantly the last two numbers of the ID # correspond w/ the year the yak was made. I bought mine in 2002 and assumed that was what it was, but it was made in 2001. Finally got that straightened out and now I'm finally set up! Whew!

4. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

yes, licensing boats, yaks, trailers, or anything else that goes on the water is a pain in the rear, and is never easy to do. Plan on wasting a few days of your life when dealing with them.

flash-------------------------------out

5. lureboy98

lureboy98 Livin' the Lifestyle

Well i dont have the receipt from the sale either. In addition, I KNOW there is no ID number on the side of my float tube. I might have to make a trip down to the DMV and see what I can do and hope they just tell me i dont need one.