Regional Hip Hop

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Columbusslim31, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Columbusslim31

Columbusslim31 Student of Finjitsu

Hopefully there are some open-minded people on this forum. OK so let's here it. Which do you like best? East Coast, West Coast, Southern, or Midwest hip hop?

I personally prefer East Coast. To me it's more intellectual and there are a lot more socially conscious rappers from this region (Mos Def, Talib Kweli). They're rhyme schemes are more complex and they tend to use more metaphors and similes. (Jay-Z, Rakim, Wu Tang Clan)

Midwest is my next favorite. The great thing about Midwest hip hop is it's a fusion of both West Coast and East Coast. Both intellectual and party-driven. (Common, Eminem, Kanye West)

I only like a few choice Southern hip hop artists. I feel most of what's called "hip hop" in the south, is not hip hop. To me only a few qualify as actual hip hop (Ludacris, Outkast). In this region, there are too many acts who concentrate less on lyrical integrity and more on making butts move.

With West Coast, though the style of this region is slowly dying out, it's a lot more gangsta-driven and also, save for a few (The D.O.C., Kurupt), concentrates less on lyrical integrity.

Hip hop as a whole is a lot more complex and compartmentalized than many people recognize. Admittedly, a lot of it is exploitative and unfortunately, the media and people who don't understand this genre, tend to focus more on this aspect. And thus, those with real talent, those who actually have something to say, don't get much exposure. (And I imagine it's the same with rock/alternative.)

Well those are my opinions. What do you like best?

2. Capt.Muskey

Capt.Muskey Ohio Fishing Militia

Bugs bunny is cool, seems to travel alot, not sure what coast he's from. :eek:

3. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

some hip hop I like:

Sage Francis
    Aesop Rock
    Mos Def
    el-p
    Pharcyde
    MF Doom

tbh, I don't know where any of these artists are from except Sage Francis, who is originally from Rhode Island. I do like the more clever, socially conscious rhymes, however.

4. Columbusslim31

Mos Def is East Coast. Pharcyde and, I believe, Aesop Rock are West Coast. They're some of the more lyrically adept West Coast rappers. If you like Aesop Rock, you might like Planet Asia. Like I said, the talented, conscious rappers you hardly hear about.

5. seethe303

ever seen the Lab Rats, Marshall? They are a pretty good local hip hop group. They have played at Comfest for a few years and always put on a good show.

also worth mentioning as far as midwest hip hop: Brother Ali

6. Columbusslim31

No I haven't heard of the Lab Rats. Based on your approval, I should give them a listen.

Brother Ali is nice. Just another case of not getting exposure because he doesn't fit the rapper stereotype.

Wade Waters is also another good midwest group.

Let's not forget Jurassic 5 from the West Coast!

7. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

My redneck rap....
    See the rabbit hippity hop, I do the shotgun drop, the rabbit he go flippity flop and into the pot, he drop! :eek:

Just add your own music LOL :cool:

8. Columbusslim31

I can't forget about The Roots. (East Coast) One of the few, if not the only, hip hop group that uses live instrumentation.

9. well....being 30 years old and living in cleveland almost my whole life im more into the east vs west battles.......but as far as rap its self it dont matter to me if it has a good beat and ain't talking about the gasta killing stuff i will listen to it....

...but as for music of couse if i have the couse..it is country or rock now sense my minor 10 year set back

10. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

I started off with Run DMC's Raising Hell, tought to beat that. Fat Boys, Beastie Boys, LL, Basically the whole Crush Groove Gang!

Then came the more hardcore groups like NWA, Too Short, Geto Boys, 2 Live Crew, DJ Quik... This was mainly a West couse era for me, minus the Geto Boys.

On to the early to mid 90's now with the Wu-Tang Clan setting the tone, then came the whole Biggie -v- 2 Pac, I liked them both didn't care where they were from. Dr. Dre went solo in 93, tough to beat "The Chronic"! Snoop and Warren G on the top of my list also.

The mid 90's to 2000 Rap went a little more mainstream with Jay-Z topping the charts along with EminEm, Bone Thugs, Big Pun, Outkast, all the Hot Boyz, Puff Daddy and ICP! Some people hate ICP I love them!

Currently I listen to all these groups thanks to the invention of the iPOD!

11. Columbusslim31

Nice selections Parmabass! Can't forget about the old school. Before it was commercialized. Rap in it's most pure form.

I almost forgot about ICP. One of the first to fuse metal and hip hop.

Big Pun was one of the greatest lyricists ever. Too bad he, like Biggie and Tupac, never got a chance to progress his music.

12. I'm a huge Jay-Z fan...IMO the best ever. The Black Album is my personal favorite...

Biggie is a close second for me...along with the usual suspects...Pac, Wu-Tang, Nas, Dre, Snoop and DMX/LOX. Bone's E.1999 Eternal was the first rap cd I bought!

As for a specific region, I would have to say that I prefer the East Coast as a whole. It amazes me how far behind (lyrically) that some of these new rappers are...(if you can even call them that!)

The only thing that keeps new rap in the iPod rotation are the beats. They've come a long way..I would still love to hear something like Biggie on a Pharrell or Just Blaze track.

As far as newer rap...I listen to a little bit of everything. Kanye, Talib Kwali, Mos Def, Common...Mobb Deep (America's Nightmares) Jim Jones, Cam'ron (Purple Haze was solid), 50/G-Unit are okay...T.I., Lil' Wayne, Rick Ross...and I'm a big fan of the Game too.

13. zachtrouter

zachtrouter FISHAHOLIC

Cant forget Goodie Mobb, Gucci MAne, Paul Wall, and my personal all-time favorite LIL WAYNE the best rapper alive. Top 5 would be
    1Lil wayne
    2 Eminem
    3 2pac
    4Biggie
    5Bone 2-4 not in any order

14. collinwoodie

collinwoodie north hill alumni assoc.

...those with any real talent still play actual music.
    having an IQ over 40,I don't take "hiphop" any more seriously than I do professional wrestling. Standards for about everything-but especially what still passes for "art"(don't you love it when some rapper who couldn't play "Mary Had A Little Lamb" on any instrument describes himself as an "artist"? great stuff...) continues to freefall as somewhat understandably people will do what is easy rather than actually learn something of substance.Sad. Worthwhile music of any value lasts to be listened to for decades after its inception.I really don't envision various alumni at ruenions listening to rap "artists" a few decades hence. Notice how so much of hiphop/rap quickly disappears shortly after the publicity campaign ceases? No accident.
    Remember when "sampling" was called what it is: plagiarism,?

15. seethe303

How much hip hop have you actually listened to beyond what you hear on the radio or on tv?

Of course, 90% of hip hop is not that great, but that goes for ALL styles of music. Most metal, hard rock, classic rock, country, electronic music, hip hop, pop music, etc etc, is awful, throw away music that will be forgotten.

To say that hip hop is lacking substance is extremely short sighted, though. A number of the artists mentioned in this thread have been releasing albums for over a decade, and those older albums are still relevant today. The cultural impact of hip hop is hard to deny when taking an objective look at the recent history of music.

I would be willing to bet that alumni at reunions are already listening to hip hop from when they were in school.

As far as sampling being plagiarism, that is a huge generalization. Much in the same way that average rock artists are going to use the same power chords over and over, average sampling artists won't use samples creatively. Someone who knows what they are doing with their sampler however, will be able to twist, modulate, and contort their samples until they are unrecognizable to anyone. THAT is creativity.

Or artists don't even use sounds that have been used before. I have a sampler sitting in the next room, and much of the time the "samples" I load into are sounds I created on a synthesizer. Please don't say that synthesis isn't real music either, but I suppose that is a whole other discussion.

16. Columbusslim31

I couldn't have said better myself!

17. Columbusslim31

The Roots are an actual Hip Hop Band. They use live instruments. All original music. Very little to no sampling. And speaking of sampling, there is something akin to sampling in other forms of music, it's called: covers. How much more creative is it to do a cover of someone's song than it is compose a new song using elements of a previously recorded song?

By the way, congratulations on having an IQ above 40!:D

18. Back when this type of music was good, it was called "rap", and my parents hated it. Back when I liked this type of music the first number of my age was less than 2. Back when I liked this type of music, Michael Jackson looked normal, and the Fat Boys song "Wipe Out" was played on a 45rpm record. Back when this type of music was good, a "Ghetto Blaster" was a big ass radio to be carried on the shoulder, not a sideways pointed handgun.

I find pretty much all music today absolutely abhorrent, I can't tell the difference between Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, Staind, Foo Fighters. They all sound the same, and they all stink.

Regarding "hip-hop" and most of the artists mentioned here, I'd rather pour 50ml of hydrochloric acid, 50 ML of Amyl alcohol, and 25ML of boiling butyric acid into my ears and let it fizz for a while. All that said, I will always have a special place in my heart for:

Public Enemy (It takes a nation of millions and Fear of a Black Planet)
    Run DMC (whichever album had :Walk this way, It's tricky, You be Illin')
    Fat Boys (Anyone remember the movie, Disorderlies?)
    Eazy E (Eazy Does It)
    Ghetto Boys (I felt like a rebel listening to all those bad words, even drove my car into a ditch while listening to "Gangsta of Love", the one with the Skynyrd sampling)
    Beastie Boys (License to Ill, Paul's Boutique)

Honorable Mention goes out to:
    Vanilla Ice
    Young MC
    DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince
    Biz Markie

19. seethe303

IMO the Beastie Boy's best album BY FAR. It is a masterpiece of early hip hop/rap/whatever you want to call it.

I also want to give props to the DJ Shadow album, Endtroducing, which is a perfect example of creatively using samples. The entire album was composed solely of samples. Every single track is brilliant. It is considered a 'trip hop' album, and not hip hop because there is no rapping, just beats, but I suggest anyone here who likes good music to check it out.

20. vkutsch

vkutsch You scratched my anchor!

All my life I've heard people say "music now sucks! It hasn't been any good since 19XX!". That is just ignorance or laziness talking. There is ALWAYS excellent music being made, you just gotta look for it. Can't count on the mass media to find it for you.

I grew up in D.C. just when rap was starting. But no one there was listening to that. We were partial to "Go-Go", which was competing with rap for the "urban market". I don't really remember the groups other than EU ('Da butt', 'Drop da bomb'?) and Salt n Peppa started as Go-Go. I put my money behind go-go, was sure it was gonna win the battle (more musical, better for dancing). Obviously, we were wrong. Looking back now I can see that you can 'say' more with rap, and people wanted to be heard more than they wanted to have a good beat to dance to.