close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

reflections on fathers day

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by misfit, Jun 15, 2007.

1. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

as i sat here,it dawned on me that fathers day is coming up,and it suddenly caused me to pause and think about the traditional gifts that we all get from our kids at this time.i never really expect anything because there's no greater gift than my kids themselves.
    the fact that i came very close to losing all three of them at some point in their lives makes them all the more precious to me.following are just a few(and the scariest for me) close calls for them as they were growing up.

my oldest son was hospitalized for 2 weeks when he was 18 months old,and doctors gave him little chance of living.
    he is now 38 with a wonderful wife and two fine young sons.

my yougest son was found unconcious at the bottom of a swimming pool when he was about 8 years old.
    he will be 36 next month and has a great teenage son and a beautiful 2 year old daughter.

my daughter was trapped in a mobile home when a tornado picked it up and carried it off,totally destroying it,a week before her high school graduation.
    she will be 40 next month and has given me 5 wonderful grandkids.

so you can see why i never think of what kind of gifts i may get.
    i get the same three every year,and as long as i do,i couldn't want for more:)

2. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

I have two young boys ages 4 and 2. Every day is fathersday for me. When I come home after work and they come running screaming daddy and tackle me thats the stuff that gets me through any problems or stess's I may have.

My fathers 78th birthday would have been June 13th and with fathers day a few days after its hard not to be sad and miss him very much, but he is the one that always made time for me and took me fishing as much as he could. not becouse he loved to fish, in fact he did not fish at all, but because I love to fish. And loved to see me having fun and filled him with a sense of pride. I know he looks down on me and my family. I only hope to bring my boys up the way my dad did me. Happy fathers day to all of the dads out there.

THanks for the post misfit and glad that you have your kids and grandkids with you today. S

3. fugarwi7

fugarwi7 Lumberjack

Puts it all in perspective! !% I am happy for you and to every dad out there who gets the same reward from their children...mine are usually a pain in the butt, however I wouldn't want it any other way...they are mine, healthy and still around and I am happy for that! :) :)

4. Nice post Rick. Definitely makes you think.

My oldest daughter, the one in New Orleans, will be 22 in September... I haven't talked with her since Katrina when she decided running and having fun with her boyfriend was more of a priority than getting her world fixed after the storm. As I told her in our last conversation, life is what you make it, and with choices come accountability. (I sound like my own Dad)

Sarah, Nick, and Sam are a TRUE blessing. Every day is Father's Day with them around, especially when we can all go fish, hike, and do the outdoors thing, OR when they have a soccer game that I can go cheer them on. No finer set of kids around.

I do miss Abby though. Unfortunately, she lost her battle early on, but I do know one thing. She's there, cheering on her brothers and sister at soccer, telling the fish to bite, and keeping an eye on all of us.

Kids are something you think of when you're young and say "What am I going to do with them?" and after you have them you say ""What would I do without them!?!" :D

Happy Fathers Day everyone.

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

yep.and now my kids look at me and say...."what are we gonna do with you?":D
    i would have 4 kids,but i also lost a daughter,as soon as she was born:(
    but she's still in my heart:)

6. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Senior Member

That's what I called my Dad, not out of direspect but the utmost respect because th Old Man had been around and knew everything. He was a hard working Scotch coal miner who went into the mines when he was twelve after his father died as the result of a roof fall in a mine and he spent 50 years underground. I will always remember when he came home from work, he'd set his old metal lunch bucket on the kitchen counter and I would run over and open it and find half a sandich and about 2/3 cup of luke warm coffee in his thermos. How I loved to dunk that sandwich in that coffee, tasted better than a T-bone does today. Wasn't till way later in life that I figured out that it was left there for me, not just left over. He did love to fish and hunt and taught me all that he could. Most of our fishing was done for suckers in the spring and Crappie and Bluegill when they were spawning. All fish were kept and cleaned to help feed Mom and us six kids, I was the youngest. Nothing was wasted. We fished all over Eastern and central Ohio, Wahonding river, Mohawk Dam, Wells Creek, Tuscarawas R., Stillwater Creek, Conotton Creek and on and on and on. There's not a day, and in particular Fathers Day, that I don't think of him. I'll be 64 on fatehers day. We lost him 10 years ago and I still get choked up thinking of the things we used to do. Someday I hope to sit down beside him and open that lunch bucket again and see whats inside it. God I loved that Old Man....Pete....Aka Hatchetman

7. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

Great thread Rick, I've really enjoyed reading all the posts.

As I think about my dad, the first thing that always comes to mind is how he puts everyone before himself. After he made it through Vietnam he went to college on the GI Bill. Made it through college and just continued to always work hard to provide for our family. I remember some pretty tough times but we never went without - and I'm quite embarassed now when I think of the things I got - when we didn't really have the money. I only can hope when I have kids I will be as giving, hard working, and slow to anger as he is.

8. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Great post guys. and many great points. We all love our kids greatly and we as kids never fully understood our fathers and mothers until we had kids ourselves. It is a true blessing to have the little ones run up and give you a hug or see them catch a fish or score a goal. Sometimes you have to come down on them only because you love them and some day they will say the same thing we do. Man i sound just like my dad. LOL.

My dad raised me since i was 10yr old always working hard and making sure we never went without. He is a great man who i admire and respect more than anyone. Lucky for me we still get to spend alot of time together as he only lives 5min from me. He knows iam always there for him and i know the same about him. And my kids know that i will always be there for them threw thick and thin. And as long as they are here and healthy that is all i need on fathers day.