close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Refinishing Boat Interior Questions

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by crankus_maximus, May 18, 2005.

1. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I know this has been asked many times before, but here goes....

I am replacing the exisiting floor and bench seat covers in my 14fter that I believe was from the factory. I ripped out 1/2" wood on the seats and the floor covered by the indoor/outdoor carpet (or maybe it was boat carpeting). Anyhow, I plan to replace it in as close to the original configuration as possible - but with new carpeting. I am going to use treated plywood covered with a nicer carpeting.

My question is this, after I cut the wood to fit and seal the cuts with a sealer, how long should I wait to glue the carpeting? I plan to at least let the sealer dry at minimum and then glue the carpeting the next day. Is this a wise idea? I also would like to test run the boat, etc, but was wondering how long to wait before I should take it out.

I plan on posting pics to document my progress.

Thanks! ;)

2. I don't think you'll have any problems with that. If you seal the cuts with fiberglass resin, you can carpet it within the hour. Just a little tip, Lowe's had the best price I could find on marine carpet, by a long shot. Mine really takes a beating and has done great so far.

3. crankus_maximus

Thanks for the heads-up Magis. I just looked at Home Depot so far. I think it was 3.49 a square yard or soemthing like that. I think 8 square yards oughta do. If I calculate correctly I can refinish for around $75.00. That's 25 less than what I planned on. I can get an extra trolling motor battery now!

4. crankus_maximus

After 2 sheets of plywood, 8 yards of indoor/outdoor carpeting, a gallon of carpet glue, 24 stainless steel screws, 18 stainless steel nuts, washers and bolts and a can of sealer....the interior work was completed. It took me approximately the whole weekend to complete and I learned lots of little lessons for the next time. I completed the job for about $85-90. Not too bad. I am still going to add a bow-mount trolling motor and pedastal seats that match.

Here are some before and after photos....

Before...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. crankus_maximus

And After...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not too bad...

6. Great job Crankus!! I may have to hire you when mine goes on me.:p

7. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

looks great man amazing what a little elbow grease and a few bucks will do.

8. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

looks nice,crank.that carpet looks familiar ;)
    looks like the sanme stuff from lowes,i just put in my boat,along with a couple other aditions.i've got a few finishing touches left,but it's 90% complete.couldn't stand that old blue "grass" carpet any longer :rolleyes:
    i'll post pics later.

9. Looks GREAT!!!!You did one heck of a job there buddy :)

10. Is the boat a cherokee boat? I just bought one and they look alike.

11. lOOKS GREAT CRANK !!!!!!!!
    geowol