Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gander Mtn recommended I buy a reefrunner crank bait i think it was called a little deep runner and dives 6-10 ft or so. It was recommended as the best walleye and pike type bait and said I should try it up on the great miami river north of troy. I tried to use it last weekend at a hole, but every time I cast it it would hit the water and would not retrieve properly and once reeled in would find the treble hooks had caught the line and got tangled up.How do I prevent this from happening? Is there a special technique to casting it. Is it my setup? I use a 7 ft rod Medium lite action and spinning reel with trigger. and Stren Magna thin 6 pound test mono line. Thanks I am newer to using lures and never to the rivers

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
It probably needs tuned. If you pull it slowly through the water see it it runs straight or off to one side. SLIGHTLY bend the eye the opposite direction the lure is running to. May have to try a few times to get it just right. Once tuned they are awesome lures.

Scott

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think that is it because if I just flip it 10 feet out and reel in to watch the action it gives it seems okay. it is only on a long cast I can feel and watch it stays on top the water and just drags the top until I get it reeled in and see the line is wrapped around the hooks.

·
KrustyDawg
2,632 Posts
How fast is the current you are trying to retrieve the lure through ? If the current is too fast it will cause that particular lure to "spin" out.

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
If the line is wrapping around your hooks on the cast it has to do with the cast and not the lure. I am not sure if you have use other crankbaits before or not but I suspect that the problem would happen with them as well. What I think is happening is that when you make your cast the lure is tumbling and by the time it hits the water it has managed to catch the line. One way to help avoid this problem is to watch when the lure is out to its farthest reach and about ready to land and at this time grab the line to allow your line to straighten out before hitting the water. It make take a few casts to figure out how early to stop the line but that will help. What this does is once the line begins to straighten out it forces the lure (by momentum) to extend out beyond the line. The result is the lure will land in the water pointed in the right direction and ready to retrieve. If this does not totally clear the problem then pay close attention to the manner in which you are casting. A smooth cast should result in minimal tumbling of the lure whereas you may get a more erratic behavior if you tend to be snappy and jerky on the cast.

Hopefully that helps in some way.

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
How fast is the current you are trying to retrieve the lure through ? If the current is too fast it will cause that particular lure to "spin" out.
Good point! Or it could just be that the retrieve needs to start as soon as the lure hits the water to help get the lure pointed in the right direction. By the explanation of the line caught on the hooks suggests that something is causing it to get the line out in front of the lure.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That makes sense because It did work a few times and it was win I started reeling imediately when it hit the water or gave a little snapp to the line right before or as hitting the water. thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh my best friend,I miss you every much!This forum is very good, I like, I agree with that point of view above,I support you!

Experience is the father of wisdom and memory the mother.

I agree with bkr43050

1 - 8 of 8 Posts