close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Reels?

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by bassattacker, Jul 10, 2007.

1. for a while now ive been looking at different reels for catfishing, and am kinda stumped on this one, alot of the reels ive seen or looked at online or in stores, alot of them dont have features that would be great for cat fishing, especially bait alerts, and ive also noticed that alot of people use saltwater reels, how come there isnt that many catfish specific reels out in the market they have every other reel made for specific types of fish, but hardly is there anything made for catfish specificly? this puzzels me being that many areas in southern ohio and south of us are hot beds for cat fishing, there is a market there but yet no product? anyone got any idea as to why there hasnt been a market established besides hooks and sinkers?

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Huh? Are you sure you've looked? ;) You can hardly go into a store and not trip over Abu 6000's-65000's. :p

What you'll see alot of aroud here:

Abu 5000's
    Abu 5600's
    Abu 6000's
    Abu 6500's
    Abu 7000's

Pen 209's
    Pen 309's
    Pen 320gti's
    Pen 330gti's

then the Shakespeare brands and Bass Pro brands (Cat Max), etc......

3. yeah ive seen the abu's and pens, but what i mean is there isnt a specific cat fishing labeled reels out there like bass, walleye and so on. i most likely will get a abu or pen. besides the few that bps have and a few other makers.

4. bigdogsteve-o

bigdogsteve-o The Catfishing God

I love my shimano bait runner. It is over 100 bucks but it is a great real!!!

5. I've never seen a bass specific reel, or a walleye specific reel. But, I have seen a few catfish specific reels. Anything that is labeled species specific is usually labeled as a gimmick, not because it's better.

6. Steelwolve

Steelwolve COCC- Director

My 2 cents on reels for cats, like you said bait alert is a huge feature and mostly only found on Baitcasters and closed faced spinning reels, but both Okuma and Shimano now have spinning reels with that feature, I have an Okuma A.uto B.ait F.eeder and love it , (priced around $50 on the net) as a guy who cant stand baitcasters this is my new reel of choice they make it in a few sizes but anything 50 or above is great for Cats. Also there are many types of Hooks/Sinkers specifically made with the catter in mind also they are just not necesarily marketed as Catfish Hooks. If they market them Just as Catfish Tackle they lose out on other buyers looking to target other fish. IMO

7. 01mercLS

01mercLS It's Fishing not catching

I'll never use anything other than my abu's. just my 2 cents.

8. get ya some catfish stickers and glue 'em on your Abu or Penn reels....problem solved

9. H2O Mellon

I agreee. I think those guys who buy those special Abu's w/ catfish engraved on them are gullable. :eek: :eek: :eek: I mean not that I would ever do that. ;)

My advice after the few years I've been catting: Keep it simple as possible: a good reel, a good rod, terminal tackle that you are comfortable with & your ready to go. I will admit in the past, I was WAY too concerned with having certain things, but now I usually fish w/ what I have the most confidence in and the majority of the time it's not my most expensive stuff.

10. im def trying to keep it simple thats why im waying options and asking questions, better to ask twice and buy once, i have an 808 on a berkly big game mh rod and it does pretty well for cats but i like bait casters and spinning better so im planning on upgrading my 808 to a more stout reel, i understand what u all mean by gimmick labeling, and for dink ill soon be printing CatFish Bound Made In The USA Stickers LOL hopefully ill have my new reel by this weekends tourny. thanks everyone for there advice.

11. H2O Mellon

What tourney, is there one around Dayton? I'm thinking of maybe hitting the ACats tourney, if I can get the courage to put my boat on the Ohio.

12. the private club i belong to holds cats and all fish tournys once a month and has two all nighter cat tournys memorial day and labor day.