close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

reels ?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by capt-hook, Jul 20, 2005.

1. whats all this about spinnin reels?
    Doesnt anyone use bait casters anymore.
    spinnin reels are or have been called sissy reels.
    and what about retrieve speeds. most i`ve seen at
    marts are little like 4 to 1 etc.
    If you throw buzz baits or spinner baits that retrieve
    speed comes in quite handy, or maybe dive that deep
    lure quicker. Any who I also go for Shimano gear in reels
    and love Fenwick Rods,

Capt - Hook

2. Cat Mazter

Cat Mazter Pro Catfisherman

My Sissy Reel's Catch me an awful lot of Fish, So I wont be switching anytime soon. :D My Reel's & Poles Dont come from Mart's, I wont give them my Money, I have a Local guy I buy from or Order from Cabelas or Bass Pro Shop's.

Cat Mazter

3. Quite frankly, I believe a lot of the reason that you hear more about the spinning reels is because that is what needs replaced more often. I have both and both serve a purpose for me. But the baitcasters that I have are at least 7-8 years old and older. They just hold up much better in my opinion. They have other advantages but that is certainly one of them.

4. I have both,I go with Shimano spinning reels and baitcasters.Truthfully,I like both about the same,they each serve a purpose,and all my spinning reels have fast retrieve.Why would you call them sissy reels? That would be like me calling Fenwick rods cheap ass rods,just because I own G.Loomis rods (8 0f them).Everybody has preference's,mine is Shimano reels and Loomis rods,I do have a few St.Croix rods too.

5. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

I would rather throw a baitcaster anyday...cause it's like an art to me.
    But when your skipping or tossing small lures on light line what else can you do?

I prefer Shimano, Pflueger reels and Loomis, Falcon rods...
    although I cant afford to be fully outfitted with Loomis Rods I still sleep with my Tennesee handled 6' on a regular basis :D

I do own a few runt outfits that have saved me more than once
    I hate taking my equip. out of my bass boat everytime so I keep a full set of (B) equipment in the basement.

6. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

sissy reels....same can be said for those who fish for LM bass or Eyes...LMAO.

I have no need to throw buzz baits or deep diving cranks...im a smallie, hybrid striper, whitebass fisherman with lures...not looking to catch a mere 6lb. LM to hang on my wall(they dont fight hard enough for me). Ive caught many 9 & 10 lb. LM's in Fl. and still didnt find the challenge or fight in it.
    I can cast a light lure anywhere i want while fish...plus there are those of use that do as you say pitch and flip tubes and what not for smallies on streams with spinning reels...sissy reels...yea i guess when they cost under $80 they might be a MART sissy reel...i buy NOTHING in way of reels or rods from any store ending in MART.

I own atleast 27 spinning reels and at least 20 baitcasting, but you cant throw lures with my baitcasters, there made for BIG fish, not dinks..and they are not sissy reels as most of my spinning are japanese shimano ultegra's or stradic's , plus Daiwa emblem Z's...my casters are mostly Calcutta 700CT($260) and Calcutta 700TE($385)...still a funny azz post though..lol.

Scott

7. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

But what the heck, I'll bite anyway. I'll put my Stradics against any baitcaster out there whether it be accuracy, distance or just arse- they'll do it all. I've caught little fish and big fish and everthing in between. I've never seen a situation where I can't use a spinning reel EXCEPT when I want to bait fish and have a clicker. I could use a Baitrunner for that though if I wanted to.

It's all a matter of preference. I have both and am equally happy with either style but use spinning most of the time.

I've never understood the blind allegiance to a reel that can't throw light baits, can't throw into a wind and can't skip a bait. If I get a tangle on my Stradic, it takes me a second or two to undo it. Ever seen a pick for a spinning reel? Didn't think so.

UFM82

8. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

For precision casting of large baits I wouldnt want to use a spinning rig, no matter who made it.

9. In my opinion a well rounded fisherman will be able to chose and use the best tool for the job. A baitcaster is not he best tool to be throwing a 1/16 oz jig on 4 lb test line (yes some say they can do it but it is still not the best tool for the job. A spinning outfit is not the best tool to throw a 1/2 oz buzzbait with 50 lb braid in the weeds(yes it can be done but it is not the best tool for the job.

10. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I use baitcasters for all my catfishing.

11. shirley

shirley Guest

I know a guy who swears by quantum energy reels. I hear they have special powers!

SHIRLEY!!!! ;) ;)

12. Slikster

Slikster Shore Bound

I use both spinning and baitcasting reels.

And dare I say it... even the occasional spincasting outfit :eek:

13. Yes I use both depending on lure selection and
    quarry. most of my reels are Shimano, I agree
    They are some of the best.
    As far as the "sissy" goes that is a very old saying
    used by a lot of Florida fisherman a lot of years ago
    when spining gear first became popular.
    Just wanted to spice up the posting.
    As far as presentation goes, it got the job done.

Like I said "gotcha"

Capt - Hook