Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out fishing this morning and caught a really nice smallmouth but after that fish I started to have a problem with the lure not running right so I tied on some different ones. They all were running bad. I don't know if its my pole my reel or my line but something is messed up. The lures all seem to run way left and the action of the lure is non existence. Has anyone had this problem before and know how to fix it.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
First question: spinning, spincast, or baitcasting? Have you looked at the bail wire? Is it bent or the spring broken (should close firmly and if you tug on the line, won't open) Did you try trolling with the rod or even cast out and pull back to see if the lure moves then? Trolling or just swweping the rod would give the lure action letting you know, it is not the rod.

Baitcasting: does the eye that the line runs through on the reel still move side to side?

Spincast: If you open up the reel by removing the cover, there are metal pegs that stick out to pick up line. These could be stuck (or not sticking out all the way) or broken.

Last and simplest fix. Are you using a snap or swivel, as it could be damaged causing the problem. Give us some more info, and we can maybe help. I don't check these threads all the time, so if I don't respond in a day or so, PM me

·
Registered
241 Posts
It doesn't sound like a reel problem it sounds like you need to tune the plugs.
Bending the eye on the bait will affect the direction it takes. Look at the eye and see if it appears to be bent. It should be in perfect line with the center of the bait. If they still pull one way or the other you should bend them very slightly until they pull straight. After that the action will return.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My set up was a spinning reel with no swivel attached. The more I think about it the more I think it's my line or pole and not the reel. When I set my lure in the water and walk along the dock with it I still have problems. And when I change the lure to a different rod and reel the lures are fine so I don't think they are the lures

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you were fishing somewhere with a lot of current it will turn cranks sideways, I've had current actually turn them upside down and blow out of the water especially if not fishing parallel with the bank, food for thought with all the rain we've had the last couple weeks

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
There is no possible way a rod or reel malfunction is going to make a lure run crooked. A poorly assembled rod can affect casting accuracy, but it's not going to affect the action or how a bait runs. It's not the rod. As far as a reel problem goes .....all a fishing reel does is gather and dispense line. Some do it better than others, but the reel has nothing to do with the way a bait runs. The only possible way it could be a line issue, is if the line you're using is flat, or has a flat spot in it that is causing the line to flair in the water. I have read posts on this website where people have said that there are lines that are currently being built, that are flat. That could be true, but I know of no such animal.

As the previous poster mentioned, current could be causing the bait to move sideways. You don't have to be fishing in a river or stream to have current. If the wind is blowing there is going to be current. If you're in a boat, and the boat is moving it will make it appear as if a bait is running to the side.

Personally I think there can only be two reasons, the baits aren't running properly. It's either as -C-IMP stated ..... the bait's are out of tune. Or .... the speed that you're running the baits is too fast. Or it could be a combination of the two.

A perfectly tuned bait that's being retrieved too fast can cause a bait to run to one side or another. Some bait's are extremely touchy when it comes to retrieve speed. Especially if they aren't perfectly tuned. A bait that is slightly out of tune can appear to be running perfectly until you start to retrieve it faster. Speed magnifies the problem on an improperly tuned bait.

There is one other thing that you mentioned that could be causing a bait to run crooked. You said you don't use snaps to connect to the bait. If you're tying directly to the bait, are you tying to a split ring? If not, and you're using a knot that cinches down tight on the baits connection point, the position of the knot can affect the way a bait runs. If you're connecting to a split ring, then the type of knot being used is a moot point.

As you can see by some of the other posts, and some things that I've mentioned ..... that there are a number of possibilities that could be causing the problem. But it's certainly not a rod or a reel problem. No way, no how.

·
Captain of the Ship
709 Posts
Really have no idea if this could be the problem.....but when you said:

1) using a spinning reel
2) not using a swivel
3) all lures acting the same on that rod and reel
4) lures work fine on another rod and reel

first thing I thought of was twisted line. Like I said I can't say that's the problem...but maybe????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.