close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Reel lube or Oil?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rooster, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Should I use reel lube (silicote) or oil (hot sauce) on my level wind worm gear? Thanks!

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Either will work. I use air tool oil on my reels. Air tool oil is one of the finest, filtered oil you can get. Reel lube also works good, but in cold weather I like the oil better.

3. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

dale so air tool oil would work fine on my curados. need to get them cleaned up and respolled for some spill way action.

4. DaleM

Yes, Jerry, it won't thicken up when it's cold plus it works great on baitcasters. Remember it takes only a few drops. That oil if very fine.

5. Hot Sauce will not thicken up either. Both the oil and grease are formulated for cold weather lubrication. I will be using nothing but hot sauce in the future.

6. DaleM

Shorty, I use hot sause on my eggs every morning! :D

7. That explains a lot of things.................. :D :D

8. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

I can vouch for the hot sauce. That is what I use on my ice reels, and they don't seize up.

9. I clean and lube my reels every winter. I use Hot Sauce on the bearings on a couple of reels that I use for my early spring techniques and the rest Abu Silicote. Hot sauce is to fast for me when the weather warms and I get too many backlashes. The Abu oil is just right for me in the summer sun.