close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

reel cleaning: how do you do it?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by bill_gfish, Feb 11, 2005.

1. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

I have always cleaned, greased and oiled my own spinning reels and wondered if I've been doing it right cuz when it gets cold out, the reel gets a tight feeling when cranking. Maybe I am greasing to heavy. What I do is put grease on the gears and oil the bearings after wiping down any part I can get to.

Curious on how you guys/gals clean yours. Diagrams welcome :) Might as well throw baitcasters in there as well, I have two for catfishing and am planning a purchase of one for bass too.

thanks, bill

2. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

Sounds like your doin it right just swicth to all oil or hot sauce
    and the tightness when cold will go away.

3. If you fish in cold weather, avoid the grease, and always avoid WD-40 on internal parts. It will destroy the lubrication.

4. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I have spinning reels that I have used for over 12years and never cleaned them...I say forget the cleaning.

5. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

Hey jacko! These reels I speak of are for bass and saugeye. if ya got that dirt it there and you are trying to feel the oh so suttle bite, FORGET ABOUT IT! you just got skunked. :D

And hotsauce is on my list when I order from cabelas. Wife leaves for Florida in a couple of weeks. I will place my order then. ;)
    bill