Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
I usually just use the 20 plus method listed in the trolling bible and snap a 1 oz snap weight 20 ft ahead of the lure. This will add 33% dive depth to the lure at any given line lead. It works great for me when I tie a rubber band on my line at the 20 ft mark and just snap the snap weight to the rubber band rather than trying to wrap the line around the snap so my weight doesn't try to slide down the line on me.

·
"THE LUCKY TOUCH"
1,333 Posts
Kevin, I have a chart I will give you showing reef runner depths with and without weights. It is figured based on hanging the weight with a rubber band or snap

·
Catcher of Fish
2,860 Posts
i've been running a 2oz in-line 6' in front of the crank bait successfully to gain additional depth. I'm guessing i'm getting an additional 6-7' in depth depending on speed and amount of line out. I know that fish 30'-40' deep are hitting them at 1.8 mph and 75' -90 ft back.

·
On the water
1,022 Posts
Not only are you getting a little more depth on the crankbait, but you're adding another element. As you speed up or down, that weight will rise or drop and you're adding a vertical swim to the bait. Covers more of the water column and adds another trigger for a bite.

·
Registered
479 Posts
hi everyone,
I have a rr question for you. Are you running the deep diver or shallow runner behind
the in line sinker ? Also would the sinker weight be what determines the running depth
more than the rr ? Thanks for any input.
EB

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
hi everyone,
I have a rr question for you. Are you running the deep diver or shallow runner behind
the in line sinker ? Also would the sinker weight be what determines the running depth
EB
Deep running RR's. And the weight is adding to the depth.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Banned
362 Posts
2 oz inline 70 back is down 21 feet. 1oo back is 25... 3 oz is 31 down at 70 and 42 at 100.

Just guessing a RR would pull it down an extra bit, meebe in the high 20s/low 30s with the 2 oz and high 30s/mid 40s with a 3 oz. A ripstick maybe not much further than a few feet down off the inline dive curve. I bet both work though.

Don't suppose you would add the RR dive curve number to the inline dive curve number for a total and don't suppose anyone knows for sure other than you are going for the deep ones without using jets or dipsy divers.

·
Registered
661 Posts
hi everyone, I have a rr question for you. Are you running the deep diver or shallow runner behind the in line sinker ? Also would the sinker weight be what determines the running depth
EB
Howdy, thou a DD vs a ripstick both have a different wobble/darting action, for me I usually run the rip sticks with 1, 2 or 3 oz inlines as I run those all the time for harnesses so I have a real good idea where my baits will be and have better catch ratios than with the DD. But, running a snap weight at 20 ft in front of the RR the DD works better. Go figure. With the inlines I use a 6 or so ft leader to the ripstick. With the inlines on I can switch to other baits easily or spoons while I'm working on figuring out what the fish want. I also put ripshads, hotntot's etc there also, somedays they want that small bait profile. Just more stuff to carry in the boat and mess with.

·
Registered
610 Posts
2 oz inline 70 back is down 21 feet. 1oo back is 25... 3 oz is 31 down at 70 and 42 at 100.

Just guessing a RR would pull it down an extra bit, meebe in the high 20s/low 30s with the 2 oz and high 30s/mid 40s with a 3 oz. A ripstick maybe not much further than a few feet down off the inline dive curve. I bet both work though.

Don't suppose you would add the RR dive curve number to the inline dive curve number for a total and don't suppose anyone knows for sure other than you are going for the deep ones without using jets or dipsy divers.
If I were to hazard an inexperienced wild geometry math based guess answer to your question, it would be this. Use the inline dive curve for depth based on feet of line from water contact to the inline weight, plus the DD RR dive depth for feet back from the inline weight = total dept of the lure.

Any body know if this is correct? or not?

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
If I were to hazard an inexperienced wild geometry math based guess answer to your question, it would be this. Use the inline dive curve for depth based on feet of line from water contact to the inline weight, plus the DD RR dive depth for feet back from the inline weight = total dept of the lure.

Any body know if this is correct? or not?
No I would say its not.

Reef runners pull very hard. The weight will add to the depth but will not effect it as much as a lighter pulling bait like a shallow diver or a deep husky or rogue that don't pull as hard.

The thing to remember is there are a ton of variables tha will come into play when determining running depth. Getting close will come with practice and time on the water, fine tuning comes from bracketing and zeroing in on what the fish tell you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts