close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Redfishing in Louisiana 5/28-5/31

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by UFM82, Jun 4, 2004.

1. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

We did well- not as well as we should have had the wind not been ferocious but still well. We landed some 20 reds over the 2 1/2 days we fished with the largest being a lifetime trophy fish of 38" and around 40 lbs. My best was a 27" 7.1 lb bull that I caught in 2' of water in the marsh. Bernie, my buddy, caught the 40 in a chute betweeen two grass hummocks near open water in about 6' of water.

All fish were taken on live cockahoe minnows with 6'6" MH rods and 10 lb line. Very sporty way of catching these extremely strong fish. I used my Ultralight a lot down there- 5 lb reds on a 5'6" UL rod is a real challenge and I enjoyed the heck out of it.

We fished out of Leeville, about 2 hours SW of New Orleans. 11 miles from the Gulf proper is a bayou called Bayou Lafourche. TONS of areas to fish. We were after reds and speckled trout but the 20mph+ winds kept us off the open water. We were forced to stay in the backwaters were the grass keeps the water cleaner and calmer. Made it hard to cast though and even tougher to detect bites.

It's a trip that I have now added to my annual calendar. Amazing fishery down there. We caught specks, reds, flounder, drum, gafftop catfish, stingrays, hardhead catfish and a spadefish that went 5 lbs. Neat trip. The redfish has to be the strongest fish I have ever caught- even the small ones pull like crazy. The 40 lber we caught took 20 minutes to land and we had to chase it for more than a mile with the boat. Truly incredible.

UFM82

Attached Files:

2. catking

catking Banned

That is some serious fishin Craig. Thanks for sharing ;) CATKING :cool:

3. UFM82 that sounds like a really nice time. I am really jealous and thinking about setting up a trip like that myself. :) I lived in Dallas, TX for eight years while going to college and starting my career and never fished in TX or LA. Had friends from both the New Orleans, Shreveport area as well as E and SE Texas and never, ever picked up a pole. :( Didn't really think about what I missed that whole time till I got back here and started fishing again. Like Catking said, thanks for sharing as I found myself smiling while reading your post just imagining what it was like.