Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went out with a few friends on the kayaks for red white and boom and took some catfish gear. Only had one solid run on my line and missed whatever it was but we had the best seats in the house for BOOM. Water was very muddy and fireworks were amazing. We were on the water from 7-11pm

Video

[ame]http://youtu.be/m_Hs4wUZr1A[/ame]

·
Fish On!
411 Posts
Thats awesome. I'd like to try that some day. Was there much boat traffic?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No motor boats allowed only paddle boats (kayaks, canoes, rafts and small aluminum boats) it was amazing and highly recommend it to anyone. No crowds, didn't pay for parking, didn't have to walk a mile to get there, got to fish...ect. Best boom ever!

·
name of Alex
4,719 Posts
from the Columbus underground discussion board

My group was on the broad street bridge, and on two separate occasions someone released a pepper spray type gas. It sent 100-200+ people into a panic each time, running away from the gas. I am not exaggerating when I say I feared for my life both times because of potentially getting trampled. I was probably 100 ft away from the gas each time, so I didn't really feel any effects other than a mild burning sensation. But I witnessed dozens of people coughing uncontrollably and panicking, many of them crying. It was the first time in my 37 yr old life that I feared for my life being in a big crowd -- and I've been to lots if events like this. There were many families with young children, and I felt especially concerned for them.

Ultimately, the stampeding did not lead to any trampling that I saw. It's just incredibly fortunate that nobody tripped and fell, which could have been very bad.

I'm not sure who used the spray, but It is possible that the police used it to break up the reported fights. The majority of the crowd included high school aged kids, and there was a good deal of energy and some tension. i would not at all be surprised if there were fights. If it is the case that the police used spray to break up fights, then I would strongly question this tactic. Fights are definitely bad, but stampedes on a crowded bridge are to me more dangerous. After the second occasion, my group left the bridge because we felt very unsafe.

I'm really surprised that the spraying was not reported in the media. I don't plan to ever go back to this area for the fireworks, despite its prime viewing location. I worry that the same ingredients year after year will eventually produce a much worse outcome.

·
Double lunger
1,560 Posts
When you pack that many people in a crowded place you will have that. I never though of taking the canoe or I would have been going for years. I decided when I was 10 that I didn't like that many people packed together. Might see you on the water next year!

·
Registered
601 Posts
If you do go downtown, I highly recommend spending the $5-$6 for a ticket into Huntington Park. Little riff raff in terms of people, clean restrooms, food stands and decent seats/view, and crowd is limited to no more than a normal ball game.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Bluegillin good IDEA! Plus all the resruraunts in there make it a nice nice nite out.... boosted. Sounds like a blast man..

I took my almost 4 yr old daughter down. We had a blast walking the crowds an people watching together. And the look on her face during the finally was the best! Seen no fights an everyone was super nice to us.. last four yrs ive gone we have seen one fight only and simply walked away as soon as it started... and police presence everywhere.... great job cpd cfd an all else involved for the free entertainment and keeping most of the 500000 of us safe....

·
Kayak Fishing
616 Posts
Went out with a few friends on the kayaks for red white and boom and took some catfish gear. Only had one solid run on my line and missed whatever it was but we had the best seats in the house for BOOM. Water was very muddy and fireworks were amazing. We were on the water from 7-11pm
VERY Cool!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Very cool boosted. Everything is better on the water :D

·
Registered
682 Posts
I fish that pool in my Jon boat often...always considered doing the firework thing, worried the ramp would be nuts at the end. No motor boats makes sense.
.if I remove my 9.9, I would be allowed?
Great post, thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.