close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Red Hooks

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by ARGEE, Mar 25, 2005.

1. How Many People Think Red Hooks Make A Difference?

2. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

everyone says that the red is supposed to replicate blood or injured baitfish. ok that sounds good n all, but why does cajun line advertise that there red line disappears underwater. ok, so red dissappears first under water, then maybe the hooks become invisible and the fish are fooled that there are no hooks... i dont get it, one company says fish see it as blood relating to injury, the other says it disappears.

ill stick with plain n gold, they been working for year...

sowbelly

3. I have fished with red hooks for crappie for a few years and I am pretty sure I get more bites with em. I am also gonna put some red trble hooks on my trolling lures this year.

4. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

Personally, I think it catches more fisherman than fish. Like Sowbelly said I'm not sure they can even see it. I think fish are attracted to blood more so by the smell than the color. Just my 2 cents...

5. I have been using a red hook on the front of my rattlin raps for three years now. I know for sure I catch no fewer fish. What I believe is that a red hook on the front draws their atttention so when they strike the bait, they strike it on the front hook. I have bought a bottle of red dye that I dip my Mustad triple gripe hooks in to install on the front.

6. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

I would use what you have the most confidence in. I personally feel it is a bunch of crap, another marketing scam. But I choose not to use them and will not have a problem with people who swear by them. If you feel a red hook catches you more fish it probably will. If you have no confidence in a lure you probably won't fish it like you should. Use what works for you.

7. I like studies...
    THANKS for the link
    Will I buy red hooks?
    Prob not only because I won't remember too
    when the time comes too LOL

8. Mr.Bass.

Mr.Bass. Banned

I also think its a personal preference and what you have confidence in. I have red hooks and I have used red hooks, I dont think they have made to much of a difference at least I havnt noticed.

9. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

The big red craze isn't anything new. People were painting the backsides of their spinner bait blades years ago. For the most part it's a big marketing craze to catch the lure buyer. Personally I think red may help but only in shallow water or a lure fished shallow as red is supposed to be the first color to dissapear in the water collum. Heres something to think about, maybe red works since it dissapears in deeper water and fish don't see the hooks?

10. I like the way you put that man...
    I have searched for the the color column codes on/off and can't find nothing on them online... I had a chart when I bass trny fished but its gone...
    Any idea where I may find another?

11. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I have a color chart for what bass can see in one of my books. I am trying to find it. I don't remember red being in the top 4 or 5 though. I am not convinced at all. As a matter of fact one buddy I fish with will use nothing but red hooks. He doesn't catch many fish. Especially on slower moving lures the fish can see easier.

12. Thats where I had my chart in one of my books that I cannot find...

13. Fish Tale

Fish Tale Sea Food Eater

As was taught in s.c.u.b.a. class....
    r = red
    o = orange
    y = yellow

g = green

b = blue
    i = indigo
    v = violet

The red dissapears first; violet dissapears last in decending order depending on the height and refraction of sun light rays penatrating the waters surface

Just remember "ROY G BIV"

14. performed a study in my bathtub...the red hook performed equally well as a black, and an invisible hook too.

I like studies. For each pro study, one could concoct a con study. Would be odd if die-chi would post a study that their hooks are worthless and make no difference. Use what you trust! I just use what is attached when it comes out of the box, sharpen it up a bit and hunt for snags. I've buried both colored hooks in logs, the trees don't prefer one or the other.

15. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

on the topic of hooks, does anyone see a difference in reactions of fish when using the forged chemically treated(black) hooks as compared to stainless steel and nickle plated???

16. I don't think tossing in your kind of "STUDY" does anyone any good and only lowers, at least in my case, anything else you may have to say on any this or another matter...
    to be honest if your looking for a laugh try that section of the forum lending itself to same... ;)

17. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

The latest edition of Field & Stream has an article about this sopic, I thnk it was Field & Stream, one of those mags that I have a sub to, but never read.

18. I like to use red hooks allot