close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Record Sucker somewhere in the GMR

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by NKUSigEp, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Alright folks...this is one of those "coulda, shoulda, woulda" stories. While fishing for cats tonight on the GMR, I reeled in a sucker that picked up a ball of crawlers I had on the bottom. When I got him in I thought it was a big carp and then noticed his mouth was really small and tube-shaped on the bottom of his head. So I'm thinking, damn...that's a big sucker (litterally)! Threw him on the scale and got a little less than 13.5 lbs out of him! Thought about keeping him for bait but he was just too damn big! So I tossed him back. Of course I didn't bring a camera and I know how it goes - no pictures, no fish. But I can only look back now and reminisce.

So I get home and out of curiosity checked out the Ohio state record for a sucker and it's only 9 lbs 4 oz from 1979!?!?!?!?!?! And right now I'm about to kick myself in the butt for not getting him weighed or at least bringing the digital but it was late and I didn't want to hurt him. Hopefully he doesn't go very far and I'll get him next time! :B

2. Good chance it was a Buffalo Sucker,the lower GMR is loadd with them and a few are all the way up to Taylorsvile Dam, they look like carp minus the barbels,

Just a thought here.
    Salmonid

3. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

not to start an arguement, but doesn't the presence of a "tube shaped mouth" on the "bottom of the head" tend to rule out a buffalo?

4. please describe the fish a little more, did it have small scales and a large single, convex, dorsal with no spine, if there was a spine holding the fin and the fin was concave it was a buffalo, smallmouth buffalo do have a small tube shaped mouth, there are alot of redhorse in that river and though it is more likely that the fish was a smallmouth buffalo, silver redhorse get big and get big often, i've never seen one over ten but i have seen a few that may have pushed 10 on the ohio. i dont think any of the other species of redhorse or the carpsuckers around here reach that size.

5. Sort of but minus the pointy fin on its back and mouth was shaped differently.

Definitely wasn't a buffalo but I ain't worried about it anymore - it's already back swimming around the river now.

6. river carpsucker, almost the same thing as a quillback just a shorter dorsal

7. BigLunkerSOB

BigLunkerSOB Bengals 4-life WHO DEY

I caught around a 5lb redhorse that looks exactly like this picture.[​IMG]

It was weird it was caught on a Rebel crawfish too. I guess that it is a redhorse sucker? Apparently there are many species of Redhorse suckers in rivers. I wish I would have taken a picture of it though, but it was an ugly fish with a very small mouth.