Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Eye Lander
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for information on a recommended down speed indicator. The three I have been looking at are the FishHawk, the Moor Sub-Troll, and the Cannon. Does anyone have any experience with any of these, or another brand? My main reason to get one is to dial in my trolling speed amid the currents out in the central basin (Cleveland to Conneaut) when fishing for walleye. The FishHawk unit looks good, but I've read some reviews that talk about electronic interference with it, plus it's a bit pricey. Otherwise it seems good. I haven't heard anything good or bad on the other two. Any firsthand experience with any of these or other units? Thanks in advance.

·
Eye Lander
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The other thing I am looking at, just in the interest of saving money, is the Luhr-Jensen trolling speed indicator, which is a mechanical unit for about $70. While I know it is not in the same league as the electronic units has anyone used one and what are the results? It says it is accurate to 1/10 of a knot. I know it doesn't give down-speed but at least gives a general idea if you are travelling with/against current at the surface.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am in and subscribing to this thread. I have been leaning towards the fishhawk x4d. It says it runs on a lower frequency like 70 mega or kilohertz whatever it is but should not interfere. I wish there was something like the fishhawk td that would give me just depth and speed than temp. I don't need the temp at the depths, my sonar will show me the marks the fish are at. I just use my jet divers, dipseys, and leadcore majority of the time, rarely use my riggers.

·
Premium Member
10,898 Posts
I have been running a Moor Subtroll for over 10 years with no real issues.

I only use it for salmon fishing not walleye fishing.

It's ONLY drawback is that you need to run a coated cable on the downrigger. This has never been an issue for me.

The Fishhawk X4 have a good reputation, much better than their previous models that had some battery and other issues as I have read. I thought about buying a new unit this year as mine was getting older and the readout fogs and a couple of the light diodes are no longer working, but I have put it through heck for ten years. I looked hard at the FishHawk and elected not to go that way. Even with the different frequency the instructions say to mount it as far away from other transducers as possible, preferably the opposite side of the boat. The Fishawk is a very nice unit but too many potential issues with interference that just don't exist with the SubTroll with so I purchased a used one year old SubTroll this year as a replacement. I know what to expect from a SubTroll

Another one to look at is the Depth Raider.

I contend unless you are already running a downrigger for walleye as a normal presentation that getting a down probe is a lot of expense with little return for walleye fishing. Salmon is a different story, at their deeper depths and to find the temp break it is almost a must have.

My opinion

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,546 Posts
I have a Moore sub troll but only use it for salmon, although I have used it for walleye on occasion I don't feel it's a necessity, not even close actually. If your not using it for salmon on occasion it my not be worth the investment

·
Registered
180 Posts
i would highly recomend the fishhawk x4 excellent unit no coated wire to deal with and there service is second to none i broke the mounting bracket last trip out and i called them they sent me three brackets free just my 2 cents im no way affiliated with fishhawk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts