close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recommend a Good Boot for Ice Fishing

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by lesteratv, Nov 25, 2004.

1. I am getting ready to buy a new pair of boots for the ice season. Can anyone recommend a good boat for ice fishing? I currently wear a 400 Gortex Rocky boot. I would like to upgrade. I am looking at the Rocky Blizzard Stalker, Irish Setter Snow Tracker 1000 Pac Boots, and the Irish Setter Snow Tracker 1200 Pac Boots. I would a boot that is warm, comfortable, not to bulky, and will accept slip-on ice cleats.

2. I have a pair of Mickey Mouse boots that never get cold. They are fairly heavy but they keep you warm even when wet. I wear a pair of the elastic rubber spikes on them and have no problem walking on slippery ice. I also have a pair of 800 gram boots that cannot compare.

3. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

I too have mickeys. At the end of the day my legs are tired but my feet never get cold. Use them all ice season, from first ice to last ice.

4. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I have a pair of timberland snow boots that i got cheap. There are no laces, just buckles. They are super warm and lightweights. i think they were rated for -130 to -160

5. Portage Lakes

Portage Lakes OGF Member

I use Black Rock 2000 gram water proof boots. They are a fair price and work very well.

6. www.colemans.com has a good selection of military boots,they have white mickeys, #085101-1 is catalog number. if you like milatary surplus and strange stuff check them out!! :p

7. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

larry

i bought a pair of the blizzards for this year, seem to be a great boot for warmth and comfort... matt says he is really satisfied with them, as he has a pair of them too...

sowbelly

8. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

It's hard to have one without the other.

If you want maximum warmth there is always going to be some bulk and weight associated with it, I have never found a way around it.

I good pair of pac boots the are at least a size too large to allow for the proper socks will keep your feet warm in the worst conditions. I've been ice fishing for a lot of years and even had severe frost bite on one of my feet. There is nothing worse that cold feet while ice fishing. I accept the bulk and weight as a neccesary evil of being comfortable while ice fishing.

I just purchased a Polaris Ranger. Are you a Ranger Ware dealer or do you have any access to any Polaris options like windsheilds and cab enclosures?

thanks,
    Kim

9. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I disagree lundy, with new technologies available, leight weight products are also very warm, I love my timbs and they only weigh 1 1/2lbs...The synthetic materials are awsome.

10. :) I Love My Gortex! I Bye One Pair A Year When Ice Is On And Wear Them Through The Year At Work. Feet Never Get Wet So They Dont Get Cold! One Suggestion Though, If You By A Pair Of Rockies Make Sure You Get The Full Strap On The Back Of The Boot. ;)

11. I sent you a PM Lundy!

12. Thanks for the recommendations! I ended up going with the Irish Setter 3860 Snow Tracker 1000 G boots. I have never owned a pair of Irish Setters. We'll see how it goes.......

13. TxTransplant

TxTransplant Fishin Fool!

White Mickey mouse boots are buy-it now on E-bay, with the valves for 39.99 and I just paid 7$ to ship them to my house. Just a FYI everyone interested! Size 10R the white ones are rated for -60 degrees!

Gene

14. I bought a pair of Mickey Mouse boot's last year as well. Great boots! Went one size larger to accomodate for my wool socks. Best pair of ice fishing boots I ever bought!

15. BuckeyeTom

BuckeyeTom Muskie and Catfish

hey guys, i was just looking in some mags i got and they got the black mickey mouse boots which are rated -20 below and they are 29.99 i think and the shipping is 10 bucks.. i think i might buy a pair. the mag is called cheaper then dirt the web addy is http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?sku=BOOT-111&mscssid=KDQ4X65SVLLE8J1XK5WRM0HE6LUF6T93 they are used but iv bought used millitary stuff before and get good quality stuff..... and i got another mag with the white ones rated -60 ar like 80 bucks... i think its called HQ surplus..

16. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

I get cold feet easily so when I bought my ice fishing boots about 6-7 years ago I went with some -150 degree below zero boots sold by Cabela's. They are their Ididarod boots.
    I fish sitting on a bucket in the wind and have never had my feet get cold. Fantastic boots. They go well with my Arctic Expedition Parka. ;)