close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recent Veterans

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NRA Guy, Jan 28, 2009.

1. NRA Guy

NRA Guy Refuse to be a Victim

I am putting a care package together for a single young Marine in Afghanistan. I have been out of the service since the mid 60's and I know thing have changed drastically. I need some idea's on items that would not be easily available at PX's etc. All suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Most things that guys would like now are things to pass the time...like decks of cards. Sports Illustrated magazines and stuff like that...things that are easily found stateside, but not in Afghanistan. Don't think of things that are available at PX's or not...there aren't any at most of the outposts.

3. add wet wipes,powderd gatorade,tourniquets <they are a life saver> hard candies, light hiker’ type socks <issue ones suck>, batteries, deep woods off <sand fleas and chiggers>, gel hand sanitizer, rat and mouse traps, soap, laundry powder, smokes/chew, a coffee cp or mug that holds a pic of loved ones helps alot, pocket poker games or the such to help pass time i liked the jeopordy one

its all i can think of right now as i am out on my way to work

I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. EXPLAIN TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW, THAT WHILE YOU APPRECIATE SOAP, LAUNDRY POWDER, AND SUCH, TO PLEASE(!) SEND IT SEPERATE FROM FOODSTUFFS. I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW MANY TIDE-FLAVORED LIFESAVERS I'VE EATEN AND ZESTFULLY CLEAN BROWNIES SUCK BUTT.

4. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

A break down pole and some lures!!

5. turkeymikey

turkeymikey turkeymikey

I have a Son in the AF who just got home Monady and Son-in-Law that is an Army Ranger. When I send/sent packages they want home baked cookies or snacks like Little Debbies.Basicially anything full of sugar! Any kind of candy works well. NO CHOCOLATE..It melts. Phone cards are something they never have enough of either. My Af kid had me send him and elwctric blanket as it gets really cold at night.

The post office has a deal on one of their Priority Mail boxes. It is all you can squeeze in it for around $10. Its a pretty good deal. I know I can get $20 worth of snacks for them. They are not allowed any alcohol but you can send cigarettes if you mark them as a gift for customs.

Also, if you give his/her name to the VFW where you live they will send a package also.

They really don't care what they get. It is really boring in their off time so anything is appreciated.

Hope this helps!

Mike..Proud Military Dad!

6. Any kind of comfort snacks would be great. I always appreciated the phone cards, gatorade and kool-aid mix, power bars, cards and pictures. I was just grateful to get anything when I was deployed, as I am sure he will feel the same way.

Semper Fi!

7. NRA Guy

NRA Guy Refuse to be a Victim

Great ideas. Knew OGF would have the answers. Keep them coming and thanks again....

8. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

First off, thanks for supporting our troops!

We have been sending care packages from work for some time now and almost everything indicated so far has been right on. They troops love to read on their time off. Most requested magazines were hunting and fishing. Can't never have enough baby wipes, but make sure they are the unscented ones. Perfume smelling ones attract bugs. Powder drink mixes were another hit. Plain water gets boring after a while. You didn't indicate a male or female. So if it's a female, any hygiene items are a must. If your Marine is doing house searches, silly string is awesome for finding trip lines/boobytraps.

I'll try to get our list from work for more ideas.

9. That is for a specific box only. Not all Priority boxes. I believe they just recently raised the prices on these boxes but it's still under $15.

When you send the box make sure you tape all sides so it won't break open.

10. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

Here is the box to use for military shipping...........

Ask for:
    Priority Mail APO/FPO Flat Rate Box

Effective January 18 the domestic shipping price for this product will be $11.95 in retail outlets and $11.50 for commercial options.

Introducing a quick, easy, convenient and NOW 50% larger way for you to ship Priority Mail packages to military personnel serving overseas. The Priority Mail APO/FPO Flat Rate Box features predetermined rates regardless of weight (domestically) or destination, similar to our other Flat Rate products.

Some key benefits:
    Only $10.95 when used to send to APO/FPO addresses; $2.00 less than our domestic pricing.
    Box features the “America Supports You” logo and APO/FPO addressing block.
    Commercial prices are available for postage paid through Click-N-Ship service at usps.com, authorized PC Postage vendors, and other authorized postage payment methods. The APO/FPO price is $10.50.
    The U.S. Postal Service offers free Package Pickup from your home or office at a time and place convenient for you. To schedule Package Pickup and for other pickup options and availability, visit usps.com.

11. Yep that's the one. We sent my brother some stuff and packed the box full. It would have cost well over $11.95 to ship it.

12. turkeymikey

turkeymikey turkeymikey

I talked to my Son today and he said that the little hand held games that are like $5 or close to it are great for killing time. Gum is another thing that he liked to get. I forgot about that one I sure bought enough of it!!! The big thing is not worry if they like it, as they do a lot of trading and giving to those that don't receive anything.

13. My brother is pounding the sand right now (US Army Medic- 1st Cav). Cookies(We seal them in food sealer), tobacco ( Dip in his case) , gum, and the powder drinks top his list and of course written correspondence may be best of all.

14. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

Lip balm, hand sanitizer, jerky, small canned fruit, DVDs, playing cards, disposable cameras, sun block, hard candy, and pictures from home along with letters.

15. Not sure if anyone touched on this but don't send anything with alcohol in it. That includes mouthwash, aftershave, and cologne. We were told about that before my brother left. I guess there are guys that will drink aftershave just to have a little bit of alcohol.