Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Crazy Catman
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me or is fishing on the river very poor lately? I went Saturday night and twice last week, and average was 5 fish a trip, and all small. Shad are hard to get, fish do the tap, tap, tap thing, and the fish are all small. This time every year until now has been a great time for me. I know it's like this sometimes, but 3 trips in a row, thats freakin ridiculous. Ok, now that I am done whinning, what do you guys think?? :p

·
Mellons mentor
4,001 Posts
Could it be that the comercial netters are taking a huge number of the trophy cats, and there is just not that many left?

·
Registered
406 Posts
IM with flathead hunter 7 years ago i saw record numbers of lage cats in my part of the ohio river aroud maysville here in the past 3 years 4or 5 fish over 40 pounds is a out satanding year for the last 3 week there has been trot line run non stop in one mile run an hoop nets out just above them sad to c this but there is not much u can do about it we have cut trot lines to the point that the guy stays with thm all night runing up and down the river watching them

·
Crazy Catman
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what I think it is too, I have noticed every year the bigger fish are fewer and farther between. I will cut those trot lines whenever I see em. I know we have had the debate before, but I am against them, and I will suffer the punishment I get if I get caught. It was funny, I sent the link to my website to the guy who owns "catfish paradise". The reason I did that is because I have a link on my site to the on-line catfish petition to stop commercial catfishing. I dont know if he checked it out or not. But............I'd like to think he did...LOL

·
Mellons mentor
4,001 Posts
If something is not done in the near future, I think you guys are screwed that fish the Ohio...Although maybe once the netters and trotliners take them all they will give up?..I had a friend at work who went to paradise a week or so ago..Told me there was over 300 people fishing that 4 acre lake..Said he saw well over 40 big cats caught, such a shame if you ask me.

·
Crazy Catman
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for checking it out BC, I will be adding stuff regularly, so check back again soon. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts