close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Reading your sonar

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Star1pup, May 19, 2005.

1. Any advice on reading a fish finder? For instance how can I tell if the reading is a fish or a floating weed? I've heaqrd that it's better to turn off the fish symbols and go with the inverted "V".

Any comments from you experts? BTW: Mine is a Lowrance X-75.

2. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Anything that interrupts the signal between the transducer and the lake bottom will show up as a fish.

3. I just got home from testing my new lowrance 107cdf-I will never go back to black and white. You can tell the difference on everything-bottom-fish-weeds etc etc etc. Can't wait to use it on the big pond this weekend!

4. My personal preference is for the arches (upside down v's). My settings are determined by the individual lake I'm fishing. For example. alot of the NE Ohio and PA Lake are fairly turbid, so I have to turn the sensitivity down otherwise my screen is filled with garbage. But, if I'm at Chautauqa, Tionesta or Kinzua, I'll crank the sensitivity up to around 99 for the clearer water. It seems its a matter of preferece and water conditions. But I feel the higher sensitivity setting gives me a clearer view of fish holding tight to bottom or structure as well as a clear view of where the thermocline is setting up. This time of year the temp reading your unit gives you is only valid for a foot or so. Knowing where the thermocline is setting up lets you know at what depth the temps start dropping. As for the floating weed, unless it sprouts fins and starts swimming through your sonar cone, I doubt it would show up as an arch. I'd guess it's more likely to show up as a horizontal line or speck that would also be thinner than the fish arch. My girlfriend and kids do like the "fishy" symbols better though. The grayscale can also give you clues as to what you are seeing based on it's "hardness."

Barry

5. You might want to look at Doc's website-Hooked on catfish.alot of info there ;)

6. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

You can tell pretty quick what's a fish....
    [​IMG]

7. I'm getting some good info. Thanks, guys.

mrfishohio, would all of the signals above the bottom in your great photo of the sonar be fish? I don't see a strong "v" indication. Just curious.

8. Those are all fish, but look at the difference in the bottom signal to the right of the fish... Nice transition in bottom type right there where the bottom signal gets thinner.