Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
FatMat
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Looking for perch on a Lowrance HDS and I always look for red and yellow humps at the bottom, I have been told that I should be looking for yellow arches at the bottom instead, can anyone help me out on what to look for at high speeds and speed 8mph and less, also what is it I am marking here?

·
FatMat
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok other questions,

1. When going fast should I have ping and scroll speed at max?

2. How do you tell when going lets say 7mph where the fish are at when you mark them, when they are off the screen did you already pass them? When you first see them does that mean they are under you? When you increase speed how does this affect this?

3. What is the best Pallet to use on the HDS for perch?

4 When should you drop the anchor?

I have more but figure I'll just get some out for now. You guys have helped a lot and I really do thank you for your time and appreciate all replies immensely.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The best way, (not being a sm*** a**) is to anchor up where you are marking fish and get fam,ilier with the unit. Could be walleye, silver bass , sheephead. Have been catching perch right along with these fish. The trick was to get bait to bottom thru them. If you pulled up line to check bait , silver bass would hit on way up as did sheeps. When I am catching perch I like to fish right under transducer to see whats going on. You will notice perch as a red line lying right on bottom and wil thicken with some yellows as more fish move in. Also as you pull fish up, you will see how the image thickens with width and color.Forgot white perch usually show up higher also.Hope this helps a little. Good luck, like mine, use it on the ice also , which helps with fish ID.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Perch can look like a lot of things on your screen. Those pics you posted are NOT perch, if they are I want those numbers! :D

Depending on how many and where they are in the water column makes a difference. If they are stuck to the bottom you have to look for tiny black streaks or spots coming off the bottom. Or a black line lining the bottom. The spots could come off the bottom and be suspended. You can see little tiny hooks in there from time to time. Remember darker colors indicate less dense objects. Brighter colors indicate something big, close to the boat, tightly condensed bait, or any combination. Now I have fished for perch where the school is so think and tall there was purples and yellows in there while anchored. But they are not large hooks like your picture. Mostly blotches and spots. I could mark them at 20+ MPH. That's a real school of perch!

Learn how to use the sensitivity of your finder. I would NEVER use auto! Putting time on the water and reading your graph when catching and not catching is the best thing you can do.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
"THE LUCKY TOUCH"
1,333 Posts
Chris,

You need to get use to a color pallette you like and learn what each color represents. For example I use HDS 2 color pallette #1. I will give you a few tips with that pallette. A walleye will mark at slow speed (trolling) will have a top black line with yellow center. it will be in the shape of a hook or arch. The length of the arch will vary based on how long the fish is in the ducer cone. So do not base the size of the fish on length of the mark. The size of the fish is based on the thickness of the mark and much yellow it has. Yellow is the lowest or softest return. An aarch w/ yellow centeris indicating air in the fishes swim bladder. That is what you want to look for. perch marks will vary based on their depth. large perch not on the bottom will show arches and hooks that are relatively thin. perch on the bottom will be blue/red.

Your first pic looks like your drifting and your ducer is marking the same area continously. I see this alot in Small Canadian lakes.

best thing to do is get a training dvd and apply that knowledge to real life scenario.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If the fish is a straight line accross the screen when sitting still, does that mean if you see something similar when trolling, that you are trolling in the same direction as the fish are swimming? Also would that be the ideal direction to troll?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
927 Posts
Pallet One. I done a factory reset then turned color up from 76 to 83 a few weeks back as the only change and my marks have been excellent since.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
FatMat
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Walleye marks from today when we pulled a double 50 back on RR's. When I troll I switch to 83 Hz.

Hmm im 50 or 200 but have seen those marks before... Thanks for these images bro helping alot

·
Registered
927 Posts
You're welcome. I would suggest go to menu and do the factory reset then run 200 all the time. I've always heard 50 is for deep water of 100+'.

·
FatMat
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really they told me 50 was for trolling and slow speed and 200 is for high speed markings. Nice job today, I'm goin for the walleye this weekend, fingers crossed. Where you fishing outta of and how deep?

·
"THE LUCKY TOUCH"
1,333 Posts
If the fish is a straight line accross the screen when sitting still, does that mean if you see something similar when trolling, that you are trolling in the same direction as the fish are swimming? Also would that be the ideal direction to troll?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
The chances of fish swimming in the same direction and she speed as your boat is almost impossible. So that is most likely not the case.

·
"THE LUCKY TOUCH"
1,333 Posts
Really they told me 50 was for trolling and slow speed and 200 is for high speed markings. Nice job today, I'm goin for the walleye this weekend, fingers crossed. Where you fishing outta of and how deep?
Switch your 50 for a 83. Your 50 does not help unless you are fishing 100- 120ft or deeper.

·
FatMat
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll talk to DB and find out why he installed that in my boat, on top of that why he recommended it, kinda perturbed now that I know its pretty useless. That thru haul was not a cheap nor to be installed and I asked for the best solution because the factory duces wasn't working for me! If anyone else has any input before Monday it would be greatly appreciated...

·
Lake Erie Charter Captain
630 Posts
I have a HDS10 using a 50/200 shoot thru hull ducer. 50 hz will work fine, just has less detail. I know lots of trollers use 50hz when trolling because of the wider cone angle. 200hz with have more detail, but a much smaller cone angle. The 83hz is a just a little better detail then the 50hz. If you have a Thru Hull transducer, it is more then likely a better transducer then the factory 83/200hz ducer that comes with HDS. THe main thing about reading fish finder is using it and getting use to it.

Here are my settings I run for trolling and perch. FYI.
Pallete #10
shallow water
Ping 17
Scroll normal
sensitivity, manually set based on screen clutter

For perch I split screen with Bottom lock.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts