Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have info on this PA lake this time of year? I am heading there in a couple of weekends with the boat, but have not fished it before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
havent been there in a couple years, but used to fish it pretty regularly.(5-10 times a year?)family owns land closeby we use to hunt on. very,very deep lake and lots of open water. dont know what you are targeting, but we just went after the lm and sm. lots of stripers though, and if that is what your after i really cant help you.we did best between mile markers 17-19.lots of coves in this area with good access to deeper water. hit it early though, gets pretty crowded there when the weather gets nice. take a camera too, very pretty scenery.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! We are going to target anything that will bite! I won a half day striper guide trip, but we will more than likely target bass after that since that is what we are used to. Thanks again!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well we just got back and we caught fish, but no stripers. Our guide cancelled on us, and with a no cancellation policy at the cabin I rented, we had no choice but to go. Needless to say, do not use Tim Grace and Striper-Guide.com. He left us stranded with no guide, on a trip I booked last year. Bad deal.

We did manage a few lake trout that were shallow, a nice smallie, a couple of nice crappie, and some smaller largemouth. Water temps were cold (49-51), and conditions were tough, especially on a big lake that I have never been to. We cast for stripers, but we could not find shad to net, so that did not help.

·
Registered
178 Posts
That's unfortunate about Tim Grace. My brother and I chose to use his services for our first trip to Raystown, and came up with the same conclusion. He did take us out, but had a negative and pompous attitude right off the start. Wouldn't let us handle the equipment unless a fish bit... and really didn't help us out with any tips for the rest of our stay that week. Oh and we didn't catch any stripers either.
I hope the experience doesn't turn you off the lake. My brother and I have continued to make the trip at least once a year, and have had success. It is a tough lake to fish for the stripers, but we always catch something that has some size. The Lakers get to 20lbs and are usually willing biters. We usually get some Black Bass also.

·
Registered
280 Posts
1 question then a response. I am going to Raystow may 16/17 and we are taking a boat. Is there some test I need to take to havemy boat over there? Any info will be greatly appreciated. We used another guide service also and he didn't cancel, but he might as well have. Not a good experience at all with the guide. We went back and were absolutely killin the smallies 2-7 lb range and lots of them. This lake is unreal, if you have time and want a challenge this is the lake for you. Advice is go on a weekday when all of he cigar boats are docked. Keep me posted on any reports you may have and about the boat thing. GW:D

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not sure on the boat thing. I took a boat and launched it, not realizing there may be an inspection thing. Of course there was not a lot of boat traffic because of the weather. But you do need to wear you license on an outside garment, which I did not know until I saw all of these people with theirs on their hats.

As far as the fishing goes, the fish were tough pattern. The best smallie came on a pea gravel secondary point, in which 3 largemouth were also pulled off of there. Those three were within 20 yards. The honey holes were late in the day on main lake points that had weeds growing in 8-9 ft of water, and the weeds came up to within 2 feet of the surface. You had to fish very very slow, and keep the bait just on top of the weeds. But the water temps were 49 in the morning and 52 at night. You could find warmer water up river, but we had no luck up there. Big crappie, and nice lake trout to keep you on your toes. I am sure by the time you go, the bass will be in the weeds. Should be fun.

·
STX 206 Viper
1,861 Posts
gotwipers - What guide service did you have a bad experience with? We're going later this year and need to find a good guide.
Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
280 Posts
Lunker guide service. These guys thought they owned the lake. Example....we were moving to one of his spots ok. We get w/in site of it and there is a boat there, so what does he do? He heads straight for the boat and at the last minute turns and whitewashes the guy! We got skunked both times for stripers, they gave a second try for free since the first was so slow. We started catching the smallies though and that was all I needed. PM if you want to talk more. GW:D

·
Registered
340 Posts
I Was There For A Week 2 Yrs Ago In Late Summer. The Fish Definately Related To The Weed Lines, Lrg And Sml Mouth Bass. Biggest Was A Smallie Almost 6lbs. We Also Caught A Lot Of Fish, Mostly Smallies, On Rocky Points. I'd Love To Be Throwing A Jerkbait There Now, As Jerkbait Is Supposed To Be Better This Time Of The Year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts