close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rayland/Pike Island July 22-24

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by BuckeyeFishinNut, Jul 13, 2005.

1. I am thinking about making a trip down to the Rayland/Pike Island area next weekend. I wanted to put out an invite to anyone who wanted to join me. I know some people have been wanting to hit that area and here is a good chance to give it a try. I am planning on getting to Rayland around 3pm on friday and camping there friday night. Camping is $8 a night. If the fishing is going well I plan on staying there the whole weekend. If the bite isn't on, than Saturday morning I plan on hitting below Pike Island dam. The distance between Rayland and Pike Island dam is only about 3-5 miles at the most so it is very easy to camp at Rayland and just drive to Pike Island. If for some highly unlikely reason neither Pike Island or Rayland is producing fish I have a few backup spots that we could go hit. This spring we fished Rayland twice and landed well over 100 carp each time with carp into the lower 20lb range and we hit below Pike Island last fall for carp and landed 80 in a day. I don't know how the summer pattern is but I am pretty confident that they will be in one of those 2 areas. If ya need directions to Rayland PM me and I can send them to you. Let me know if there is any interest. If no 1 is interested I will just stay in Columbus and do some smallie fishing and some evening carpin.

Jake

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

jake.. i'm looking to go camping/fishing somewhere the weekend after that.. and for $8 a night plus being close to cabelas just can't be wrong..lol
    i'll have to see how my cashflow goes.. :eek:

3. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Can you fish from the campsite?

4. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

5. The campsite is right on the water. You pull your car right up to where your camping and can literally camp 5' from the bank. Check out RiverRat's photo gallery, he has pics of the camping area and the stretch of river there. Its a really nice area that has yielded some nice results.

6. here is a pick of where the marina channel hits the river. We were fishing the point right there. It goes atleast 500-700 trds further to the left of where we are fishing.

Attached Files:

7. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Man looks nice. Now all I gotta do is talk the wife into going,lol

8. That big pile of junk behind us is a hugh driftwood pile for fires. There is fire pits all along the water. Who knows if all that wood is still there but it was a few months back. The big pole you see there has a street light on it and it lights up that area pretty good. Sometimes it gets kinda busy there on the weekends but alot of people leave around dark who aren't camping and most boat traffic is out by dusk. I know they have flushable toilets and running water there but I am not sure about shower houses. The town of Rayland is about a minute drive from the campsite and there is a few gas stations and a grocery store. Coming up Rt 7 to rayland you drive right past Martins Ferry which is about a 10 min drive from the campsite and they have various fastfood places, gas stations, grocery stores etc. Tiltonsville which is the next town down from Rayland where Pike Island dam is located has a few places to get food and a grocery store and the only bait place around, Ohio River Bait company. Its about a 15-20 minute drive from Rayland to Cabelas over in Wheeling. Its not as big as the one un Dundee, Mich. but it is still very nice with lots of stuff.

The way the water shapes up is there is a coal loading dock near the end of the campground(opposite the marina). About 75 yds. from the bank it is pretty deep so that the barges can pull in and out. Right off the bank is a flat that goes from a few feet deep to about 8' and then drops into that trench. The area looks like a lake this time of year. There is always a little current but the only time there is any real current is when they let barges in and out of the locks at the dam. You can easily fish this area with 1/2 oz sinker. Most of the time I just fish with the weight of my feeder. The water up there pretty much stays at the same level all year round for barge traffic. It may only change a few feet through out the year unless we get a hugh amount of rain. It is a pretty stable place to fish.

Jake

9. Here is a pick looking up river at the coal loading docks from the campground.

Attached Files:

10. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Figures ya want to go when im working weekends..geez!

Great place to camp and fish..this is the ONLY place i know of that you can litterally back your truck right up to the river and fish off your tail gate..and your tents next to your truck...doesnt get any better than this...well i could do with out the rednecks, but since i fish there with Jake(Buckeyefishingnut) hes one of them so they dont bother us...LMAO!

Im going to be taking my boys camping/fishing there with in the next week or so during the WEEK to avoid the locals..lol...i dont want to scare them just yet..lol.

Scott

11. For those of you that don't know, this is on the Ohio River. Its about 2 hr drive from columbus. You pretty much take 70 east all the way.

Jake

12. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

I thinks its 130 miles from Columbus to the exit at Bridgeport...then only 8-10 miles north on rt 7 to Rayland.

Avg. 2-2 1/4 hrs. drive but my best time is 1 hr. 35 mins. from Columbus's west side....lol.

The drive to Wheelings Cabelas is a heck of a lot better than the one in Dundee, Mich. i dont ever see me driveing to the one up there again...well that is until our salmon trip in the fall in up state Mich....we always stop and get our gear there on the way through.

Scott

13. Just to let everyone know, this isn't and event or anything. Its just a get together. Some people expressed interest in the past about fishing this area and a few others in that vacinity.

Jake

14. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Guess you should of picked a weekend that a cag/ogf event was'nt going on goofy....everyone else went to Clark's lake....you wont get any takers buddy.

Wait a week or 2 and i'll head out there with ya....my boys are bugging me about taking them out there to camp....i think they'll stay busy hauling fish and wont find time to get bored..lol.

Scott

15. CAG event is this weekend. Rayland is next weekend.

Jake

16. Well I have decided to put off heading down to Rayland for 2 more weeks. I am now planning on heading down the first weekend in August. It is the weekend before the CAG Fish-in at Dillon. I had a few things come up and I thought I would give some advace notice for people who wanna try to come to work out their schedule. Scott you going to be able to make this weekend with your boys? Hopefully some people wanna come down and get on some carp.

Jake

17. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Yea im off that weekend...count me in for sure!

Scott

18. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Yup dbl. checked my work secd. and im off that weekend. Give Dave a shout and see if he wants to go too.

I bet if we were landing 100+ carp between the 3 of us each trip there in the spring ,we can double that count for sure now....hopefully a lot more Buffalo's too.

Scott

19. This event is open to anyone. Its going to be held August 5th-7th. We are just going down there to do a little camping, a little carping, and have a little fun. Hope to see some people there.

Jake

20. I can make this one. How late can you get there? I don't get off work on fridays until 6:30 or so........say 10pm would be the latest I get there.

What types of bait should I bring?