Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my buddy Duane and his Dad bought a 19" boat this spring, first thing he asks me is if I want to fish in his work tourney. He is a Toledo police officer and the tourney had 22 boats. We struggled all spring trying to learn the ropes, our best day before Saturday was 8 eyes. We tried to prefish Weds and did not catch one eye!! I did manage a steelhead though. Here is the tourney low down.

With the smaller boat we could not run that far from where it is docked at Luna Pier so Stoney Point was our target area. Left the dock at 5:15 and with it being a little rough it took us over an hour to get there. We picked up some trash fish right away including a decent sheepie that we boxed for the side bet. We were drifting and the wind died right off so it was a constant cast and retrieve day. We picked at them untill after 2:00 and Duane and his partner Brett had enough and wanted to head in. At this point we had only boxed 9 fish with the largest being around 20". Duane pulled reeled up and said he was done, I told him give me 2 more casts, next cast I boated a 21" fish. He decided he better get his rod back in the water. Less than 2 minutes go by and I hook into a good fish, Duane says we must be tangled because he has one pulling also. Good news we were not tangled and both were hollering for Brett to get the net. Brett netted mine then Duane's and picked up[ his rod to find he had one also. Our 3 biggest fish of the day came in 3 minutes!!!!

We were the rookies of the tourney so nobody expected much from us. Weigh in was at 4pm and we hit the scale at 3:59 to a bunch of vets telling us not to bother, they had it sewn up. Just like on t.v. I told them we only had eaters then opened the cooler and we proceeded to shut everyone up!!! We won the overall by 3/4 lb and I took big fish by about a lb.

I know alot of guys catch more and bigger fish from Erie than we did but we held our own agaist some pretty talented teams. I put $300 in my wallet and my buddies have bragging rights for the year!!!

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
Surely you're not implying that luck doesn't factor in to the fishing equation...!
Congrats, that's some showing...! ;)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Great story...thanks for sharing it.

So does this mean you have given up tournament fishing ...or is there a chance you might enter next year?

Congrats.

·
Original OGF Staff member and owner
13,427 Posts
Great story. Luv it when the "little" guy wins over the "Pros" I hope you rubbed it in good!!:D

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh we will be fishing it for sure next year. I did'nt rub it in, remember it was a bunch of cops, never know when I might need a break!!LOL Not to worry though Duane and Brett rubbed it in pretty good. What made my day is when I talked to the second place capt. and he told me they started fishing off West Sister, moved off Cedar Point and ended up off Stoney Point where we were all day. They had to spend 1/2 the day running and probably more in gas than we have spent all season running their 30' boat. We would have liked to fish West Sister but just did'nt feel like we had the "comfort level" to venture that far yet. The look on our competitors faces was PRICELESS!!!

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
AWSOME DOOD!!!:D love when us ''little'' guys give 'em a spanking!!! i bet it was GREAT to see their faces after telling you they had it ''sewn up:D ''!!!!!
congradulation and a big ol'
BRILLIANT!!!

·
Kiss The Converse
4,560 Posts
Good job man, I love the cooler pic overflowing with eyes!!

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Ya' know...after the steelhead story the other night....then when you called and left me the message about the big walleye...and your "rookie" luck....

I was calling BS...even told my wife that.....

"this guy catches a steelhead drifting in 16fow in June...then he claims to have caught the largest walleye in a tournament...."

Well Randy...I'll pick up the phone next time...LMAO!!

Excellent showing dude...just like we talked about in the river many times....ya' might as well fish...'cuz ya' just never know!!!

Ya' don't need my help bro!!

BFG

·
Registered
371 Posts
uh oh now you're hooked on the lake fishing. looks like you will be chasing eyes year round now instread of just in the river :D . nice job on the chromer. you hooked on those things yet? only took one for me to chase them religously. congrats dude

chris

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
great Job and Story!!!!!

Im glad you did well and pulled off a great victory!!! you earned it..

what was your biggest 3 the one looks like a 9+lber... just curious????

way to go and congradulations!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GREAT JOB! Nothing like catching a triple header. One thing you forgot to mention, what were you casting?
Firetiger crawler harness with a 3/8oz. trolling sinker. It was the only one I had and the last eye of the day tore it up. Stopped at Jann's after work last night and burned $50 of my winnings to reload my harness arsenal and a new tackle bag.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what was your biggest 3 the one looks like a 9+lber... just curious????

way to go and congradulations!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank
The biggest was 8.66 with the basket, so I would say about 7lbs. and the next largest was over 5 and the third was under 5. Whats funny is when I fish the river in the spring I always throw the big females back, felt kinda wierd boxing it up.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
uh oh now you're hooked on the lake fishing. looks like you will be chasing eyes year round now instread of just in the river :D . nice job on the chromer. you hooked on those things yet? only took one for me to chase them religously. congrats dude

chris
I've been on the lake maybe 4-5 times this year and I am pretty frustrated it has not been more!! Problem is I told my wife I would not buy a boat untill I got a barn built. Hopefully by next year. Whats funny is I have yet to take home any fish.....the guys I have gone with have empty freezers so I have cleaned them and let them take them. Keep that in mind guys, I'll pitch in for gas, bait, beer, snacks, and clean the fish if someone has an open seat. LOL

As far as the steelhead my Dad and I are setting up a trip out of Manistee for later in the summer to get Hunter out there.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Problem is I told my wife I would not buy a boat untill I got a barn built.
Duckdude and I will help you put up the barn..you buy the boat..and the three of us can fish our butts off year 'round...

It would be worth the price of admission just for the entertainment value...

BFG

1 - 17 of 17 Posts