Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the season is winding down, how would you rate this past season? For me, I would have to say it was very good. Numbers wise, I ended up with around 300, which is close to the most I've ever caught. But I think I did it in fewer trips. March was a complete bust, and that's typically my best month. I had never caught a river fish in September, and I finally did that this past fall. I didn't catch as many big fish compared to the past few years, but the numbers were definitely there. My spots were very productive and I hardly had to do any walking this year.

·
Robs Guide Service
3,826 Posts
Hey Joel,
My season was very good, looking in my log book, im not going to post my number dont want to be called a bullsh#ter, but was one of my best seasons. Didnt beat the biggest fish from last year.
It was a fun season and met alot of new people, got to fish with you once and a couple of other ogf guys. You said about not catching fish in sept. The farther east you go, the early u catch them. The grand and conn. get alot of p.a. fish early. I slammed them the first week in sept. on the grand with the p.a.fish with the big humps on there backs. Next season we have to hook up more and do alot of chrome fishing!!!!!!!:D

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hey for all those Steelhead pros, what kind of number did you guys have your first season of steelhead fishing. I have about 6 landed fish, and a dozen hook ups with either long fights with no success landing them. Lost to a tree, or stupid knot fault.

·
Pay-it-foward fisherman
5,251 Posts
It was decent..
Expected better, but also did get out that much while it was winding down.
Do plan on making a few more trips soon though.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I count mine in 2 different ways. I float fish for them and it was ok. I didnt get out as much this winter because of the freeze. Usually January and Feb are my best 2 months. Every time i go out I get some, and the fish seemed bigger this year.
I troll the grand for them as well and even though they were small ones, I feel that it was ok. Only a few whoppers while trolling.

Bush Pusher on 68

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bob, we'll definitely have to get out more next year. Let me know when the crappie heat up at Mosquito.

Ngski, when I first started I tried in the spring a few times didn't have any luck. That same fall was pretty good. I got lucky and found some holes that were really good.

·
getting jigging with it
625 Posts
i had a good year for the few times i got out... Got my mom to hook up with her first fish it was a brute and after a couple mins of fighting got off but could tell she was excited... Caught my biggest ever first trip out prolly around 13lbs+... also hooked up with a monster that was prolly in the high teens longest fight and most horrible feeling ever to lose her though... I only made it out about five times and was skunked once on the shortest trip... All fish came on spinners and spoons all fish were over 25 inchers and i helped my buddy catch his first followed by his second.
it was also pretty cool i got the big girl i caught published in ohio weekly news... Pics could of been better but the feeling was great...

·
Registered
979 Posts
i ended up with around 30 on 6 trips. once on vermilion other times on rocky river. did fair up in olmsted falls off lewis road, but did real well under the 480 bridge. almost all on home processed flavored minnows or spinners. i'm still learning, but had fun. would like to meet up with some folks next year and learn some more. this season i just tried different things on my own and foud some things that worked, so that was good.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Okay,heres my season rundown.Grand total of 1,434.I am laid off every winter and fish just about every day.But this year I hardly fished in October and november due to bow hunting.I had some really great days including a 15 fish day in August,catching a huge brown trout August 28 and lost count but landed around 75 and hooked well over a hundred from daylight till dark in December all from the same hole.I got double digits about everytime out.
Down sides,the big freeze,didnt catch any salmon this year,(bowhunting)most years I get atleast 2-3 and not many big steelhead this year.I got alot around 28" but only 7 over 30".I dont fish for steelhead in the spring.But I just might go hit a harbor today.The jacks should be in thick right now slamming emeralds.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
i would have to say my season was good even no i only caught about 15 but i caught my biggest this year in acreek it was 28inchs i caught my first steelhead on my first flie i ever made so that was cool too so i would have say this was a good year for me i olny went out about `10 times so i rate it about a 8/10

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just started fishing last summer and got a pair of waders and a fly rod last fall. I made it out about 5 times in the fall with the fly rod but never even got a hit. 2nd time out this spring last Sunday I caught my first. We fought for about 5 mins when I finally landed him he was just over 24 inches, not huge, but it was my first. The most exciting hit that day was a smaller one, I saw him hit the fly and run right at me, he jumped just in front of me and spit the hook. It was so cool. He was so close when he jumped, if I had had my bib down, he might have landed in it (ok, thats a bit of a fish story, but he was close).

·
Registered
456 Posts
Well my dismal season turned around, this spring I've had over a dozen plus hook ups, landed a few and lost alot. Just landed a hawg yesterday, over 30 inches, at least 15 pounds. Had some memorable fights lasting over 10 minutes only to lose em. All caught on flies I tied, what a cool feeling. Just need to improve my fall and winter tactics to match my spring success.

·
Registered
201 Posts
by far the most productive year i've had in the past 5 years. didn't get out near as much as i wanted but still managed to catch a lot of fish. had multiple 30+ fish days and one day even got 67 with numerous other hookups. thanks to the help of many people and this site i think i'm finally getting the hang of it. overall, i'd have to say this season was a 9/10. gonna give it hell one more time this weekend and hang up the steelhead rods for the year.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I guess i'd say it was okay...went out 4-5 times and caught my limit each time but nothing huge. I generally dont wade a long time so I catch my 2 and leave...back problems.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I had my best year ever. I had around 150 this year. I caught a lot on my fly rod and most of the fish were on flies that i made. It is alot cheaper than having to buy flies everytime you go out. I have never seen this many fish in the river. I found this spot that had over a hundred of them laying there.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
this as my first year trout fishing in a long long time. years. but it was easy to get back into the sing of things. did really well, better thyan I used to back n the 90's. I dont remember this many fish at all. almost stepping on them this spring. this past thursday was my last trout day, hooked 2 landed 2. all on olive beaded wooly bugger, my best producing fly hands down. of course, numbers wise nothing can beat the jig and maggot combo. those "slap happies" jigs work wonderfully.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts