close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ran the new GIII today

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by LakeRaider, Apr 15, 2004.

1. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Boat flat out screams. Has a porposing problem on top end. 14-6 ft boat with a 40 hp. Yamaha (tiller)with power trim. As soon as you begin to trim it out it porposes pretty bad. Anybody run one of these combos? What was your fix? I,m thinking trim tabs. Raider<><>

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  2. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

The situation you described will happen if you trim the motor out too much. It also depends on water conditions. Was it windy/choppy where you ran today? Before you start adding things, see how it does on flat water.

3. EDD

EDD BASS BUM

40 hp on a 14'6 fishing boat,sounds over powered / try an extenion on the tiller to operate the boat from the middle seat

4. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

With motor trimed all the way down it porposes once you get rollin'. Flat water or a chop.Start to trim it and it goes berserk. The spray coming from under the boat is right where you sit (good thing). Just need to get this one dialed in and it will be a rocket. Since there is no pad (it shouldn,t chine walk) I,m thinkin it wants trim tabs on back. Planes off real decent. Raider<><>

5. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

I believe you could solve part of that by adding some weight to the front. With you, and the motor in the back, it would get on plain fast. with the weight of the boat you will get that. try to put some weight in front and run it. Can't hurt anything to try that.

6. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

my 16.5 (console) doesn't do this. 40 horse as well.... they do move though.;)
    i guess i dont have a fix.. sorry

7. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i run a lowe 1677 wt w/a 40 hp rude. have the same problem due mostly because of all the weight is in the back. gas oil tanks me battery... used a hydrofoil and it fixes that problem. , but now i use the happy troller trolling plate and it serves the same purpose. also it slows me down when i troll.

8. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

I think they are the ugliest thing that anyone can do to their boat- and they may not be enough.

A set of nauticus or smart tabs would make a world of difference. Raider, surely you know how to set up a boat???

Weight is always a problem in situations like this. The motor has enough guts to get it up and going, but as the water line moves back and more of the nose of the boat is out of the water, it is harder to keep the nose up. The motor just can't give you the bow lift you need. I don't think anything but weight change or tabs will help. You could weigh down the nose but that will kill top end and make the boat hunt at slower speeds. Plus, it will plow more and get you wet.

I'll bet a 14 footer flies with a 40 hp. What's that boat weigh, 600 lbs? Heck, I ran 35 with a 50 on my Sea Nymph and that thing had to weigh 900. Plus, you have a flatter hull. And a painted finish.

Put the tabs on- many bass boats are now using them- they definitely help "over-powered" boats. LOL

UFM82

40 running wild horses on the back of that tub. Hee Hee Hee

9. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

GOIN WITH THE NAUTICUS OR THE MOBSTER TABS. I agree , the stingray fins
    are really ugly (work great on underpowered tubs} but I agree with your thoughts, they will fall short of the performance I,m looking for! So while we,re talkin' smack, get your buttski over here and help me dial this overpowered sardine can in! LOL the beverages are on me bro! I already had one guy pull up and say ("theres no way a rowboat should be goin' that fast!"} LOL I'll bet ya' all this beer can will run in the 40,s . Hear that zfish! Yer Basscrapper with the 75hp is goin' down!!!!!!!! :cool: Raider<><>